Comment vs Review is a little confusing for my users

cdub

I've been trying to encourage users of my site to submit more reviews for the films that are posted there. However instead of reviewing they just write a comment.

See here:

http://www.studentfilms.com/films/little-red-riding-hood-short-film-youtube.23/#comment-20

The interface is a little confusing and people think they are reviewing and rating the film but they are just commenting.

Is there a way to make it so that in order to comment on a film (or media item) that you first need to give it a star rating or it must be your own film?

If there is not a way - is the design of the backend of XenForo Media Gallery done in a way that an addon that would allow this be simple enough to create?

In looking at the permissions I could make it that only people that have submitted films or media items could comment based on user promotions... but that still wouldn't really solve the problem I'm having above as other people who have submitted films are commenting.

I guess I could remove the option to comment altogether - but that wouldn't work really because then people couldn't respond to reviews....

Above the comment box, there's a big invitation to "Rate This Media".

If it is not clear from that then you could think about adding some additional text to the template which explains it better. This may be just an initial education thing. The rating/comment system has been in use for a couple of years now and no one has described it as confusing before.

I'm sure once they understand they need to click a rating first to rate it, it will work better. The instructions literally are:

1) To leave a review, click a star and type a comment.
2) To leave a comment, type a comment and submit.

Above the comment box, there's a big invitation to "Rate This Media".

If it is not clear from that then you could think about adding some additional text to the template which explains it better. This may be just an initial education thing. The rating/comment system has been in use for a couple of years now and no one has described it as confusing before.

I'm sure once they understand they need to click a rating first to rate it, it will work better. The instructions literally are:

1) To leave a review, click a star and type a comment.
2) To leave a comment, type a comment and submit.

Hmmm... maybe you're right... I assume I can change the "Write a comment text" phrase... I'll try that.

Can't see it without registering but I'm sure these little tips will certainly help and if it is a new platform for them they will eventually get familiar with it naturally :)

Top Bottom