Combining Wordpress and Forum sites into a one Forum site

MediaSVI

Hello! For many years I have had a WP site and a VBulletin forum for the WP site. I have always wanted to just have a forum site and its time has come to join the 2 into one.

The question, can I install Xenforo on my Wordpress site? Once I move everything over to the forum I would then delete the Wordpress software of the server.

Yeah you can, albeit consider keeping Wordpress as your site's frontend, and then Xenforo as a forum link off it.

You can even use default Wordpress RSS widget to feature recent threads/posts from your forum on the frontpage, all without needing a Xenforo to Wordpress bridge :)

Yeah you can, albeit consider keeping Wordpress as your site's frontend, and then Xenforo as a forum link off it.

You can even use default Wordpress RSS widget to feature recent threads/posts from your forum on the frontpage, all without needing a Xenforo to Wordpress bridge :)
Same situation as the original poster, but does it matter if my site is WP.com or WP.org?

Same situation as the original poster, but does it matter if my site is WP.com or WP.org?
I've only had a fleeting glance at wp.com, as I only ever use wp.org (aka self hosted).

Xenforo requires self hosted/vps to work. From memory you can't really install anything at a root or /publichtml level on wp.com.

As such no it won't work.

Happy to stand corrected though.

I'm running my setup on a Shared Hosting plan, but that plan has some serious grunt and a guaranteed low contention ratio.

Why not use a bridge and keep run your WP site in tandem with Xenforo?
For me, I don't need a bridge because I'm not having user commentable articles or anything that requires a user account on the sites frontend. Hence it's pointless for my setup/site.

For others they'd have to look at Xpress or Xenporta or something to bridge the two. Xpress was removed from sale recently according to this post: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-integration-options.178194/#post-1413092

I had a site running XenWord. Not even sure if it is still for sale or not. But if you are going to write articles still, WP is still the way to go, I think. However, with the badges that are available, most also make a new forum post from the original article. Then when a comment is made in the WP side, it also updates on the forum side. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming if you installed a bridge, let it make all of the threads for the WP content you have, then disable or remove the bridge, you would be left with just a Xenforo forum, with all of your content from the WP site transferred over. At least in theory I think this will work. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Top Bottom