• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Collapsible category

Yes, like for here.
For newbies the categories won't be collapsed, so no problem for them.
No, I don't use What's new. I just browse the forums of my interest. I'm not regulary here so What's new is too much information of categories I don't visit :)

Morgain

Well I'd want to have all the Categories collapsed as default, except the first one.
User can change that and
it remembers user's last view on their return.

Grover

A product like Woltlab (or whatever it is called nowadays) does this really beautifully in my opinion. Have a look over here and try this collapsing function for yourself:

https://community.woltlab.com/

Many (visual) design elements in their current software are really impressively good imo and the forumlist overview is an example of that. Just fantastic design. I don't think any other forumsoftware can beat that overview design at the moment, including Xenforo. (However... XF2's overal UI/UX is better. And it seems Woltlab took several cues from XF to begin with... but that's an assumption I make).

Just look what happens when you collapse a category. Conveniently it shows you the amount of new/unread threads when your view of the forumlist of that category is blocked (since you collapsed it). Clever and so user friendly.

Example:

woltlab great forum-overview.png

Now... XF2's style suits itself quite a bit more than XF1's style to have collapsible categories. So who knows this still can be implemented if the need is there? The reasons for such a neat function are clear (remarkably enough it only got 5 likes in the OP).

Last edited: