Not planned Close emoji popup after insert

Banxix

Users often insert just one emoji each sentence, rarely they select more.

In mobile, emoji popup is nearly half of my screen. After select an emoji, I have to scroll up and touch the smiley face to close emoji popup. Since you cannot scroll when tapping on Froala toolbar, it becomes frustrating most of time.

I think it is better to close emoji popup right after user select an emoji, or if we could have an option for this.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think fixing this would be more preferable imo.

You can also just tap the 'X' in the top right of the smiley menu. You don't need to scroll up to the smiley face.

But it still wastes a tap for a thing that shouldn't.
How many times do you see a sentence with more than 2 adjacent emoji.

An option would be nice.

How many times do you see a sentence with more than 2 emojis.

Quite frequently, you might be surprised.

Leaving the menu open is consistent with many emoji input methods these days.

Native mobile phone keyboards usually leave the emoji keyboard up until you toggle it back.
Many of the big native communication apps with reactions or emoji are the same.

You have to think about how the alternative impacts the other option too. If you swap it so that it closes after each selection, then sure users who are only entering a single emoji are saving one tap on each message. But you're then adding a minimum of 1 click for each extra emoji those users want to use, which gets incredibly tedious once you start inserting, 2,3,4,5 or more emoji, and is far more frustrating than the benefit gained from saving a single tap when only inserting 1.

Quite frequently, you might be surprised.

Leaving the menu open is consistent with many emoji input methods these days.

Native mobile phone keyboards usually leave the emoji keyboard up until you toggle it back.
Many of the big native communication apps with reactions or emoji are the same.

You have to think about how the alternative impacts the other option too. If you swap it so that it closes after each selection, then sure users who are only entering a single emoji are saving one tap on each message. But you're then adding a minimum of 1 click for each extra emoji those users want to use, which gets incredibly tedious once you start inserting, 2,3,4,5 or more emoji, and is far more frustrating than the benefit gained from saving a single tap when only inserting 1.

I'm not able to recall any apps I have used which have this behavior but I agree with your analysis.
Guess I have to make an addon for personal use.

The built in iPhone Messages app (emoji), the Discord app (emoji and custom reactions), Facebook Messenger (emoji gifs and stickers) and What'sApp (stickers) are a few native phone apps with some kind of emoji/reaction/custom image insertion menus that operate like this.

The current behaviour is based on user feedback after originally having the behaviour of closing on selection so we’ll be sticking with that for the foreseeable.

The built in iPhone Messages app (emoji), the Discord app (emoji and custom reactions), Facebook Messenger (emoji gifs and stickers) and What'sApp (stickers) are a few native phone apps with some kind of emoji/reaction/custom image insertion menus that operate like this.

I only use Discord.
However it is worth pointing out that Discord emoji is not actually a popup, it is smoother and it does not interfere with the textbox.

The current behaviour is based on user feedback after originally having the behaviour of closing on selection so we’ll be sticking with that for the foreseeable.

I understand it is desired behavior for more users.

However it is worth pointing out that Discord emoji is not actually a popup, it is smoother and it does not interfere with the textbox.

Yeah, that was discussed in another thread, it's because it's a native keyboard as it's part of a native app. Unfortunately that can't be replicated as smoothly for something like XF within the current limitations of a mobile browser :( 😭

EDIT: Added an extra emoji so there was more than one ;)

Top Bottom