1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close an account

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Blue, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

How do you close an account without banning? If you change the password and the user is still logged in, will they still be logged in after you change the password?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you want to achieve but you could just set the View permission to Never.

That will effectively block them from the site without banning them.

borbole likes this.
  3. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

They will not be able to log in once you change their passwords. However they can request a new one to be sent to their email address. So you might want to change their email addresses as well.

Blue likes this.
  4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Don't want to block their viewing just cancel the account so they cannot log back into it. Borbole's idea sounds good.

borbole likes this.
  5. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I have a "deregistered" usergroup with no permissions to do anything (other than view) and I just assign people to that group if they want to close their accounts (and remove them from all other groups and individually assigned permissions).

I don't delete accounts because experience has taught me that people often come back later, after the dust has settled from a scrap or when they've had a break and feel like joining in again - and they usually want their old account back. (y)

Blue likes this.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Same.

You don't need to remove them from the other groups though, just use Never for the other permissions.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Good idea as well, thanks.

8. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

edit: ignore this

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015