1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloning categories

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Jigsaff, May 15, 2013.

1. Jigsaff

Jigsaff Member

I have a category with 70 forums inside. I need to make another 100 different categories, which will include the same 70 forums. How can I do this?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The only way to do it is to create each one manually.

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'd probably recommend rethinking things a bit - 7000 forums is almost always a bad idea.

digitalpoint likes this.
  4. Jigsaff

Jigsaff Member

These figures are just for example. :)

5. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I remember asking about a clone feature when XF first started, and I went on mentioning it for s while but it faded out on me.
    This is one of the few things I miss from VB. When making a new category or forum, I could select an existing one as a template, rename it, then tweak it sljghtly if necessary. Very useful.

Jigsaff likes this.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

'Cloning' forums is something that I miss from phpBB when I moved over to Xenforo. On phpBB when setting up a new forum you had the option of copying the permissions from an existing forum to the new one. I know that Xenforo lets child nodes inherit permissions from the parent but you can't do this for other nodes.

Morgain likes this.
  7. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Inheriting permissions is a big part of it, but also things like doing a copy and paste on the description, adding the order etc
    VB had it so easy - a dropdown to select the forum or category then just change the name and you're done.

a mega addition would be batch clone - with an initial default naming convention of same name plus a numeral.

nodes as tabs might need a tweak

8. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

DP has his own addon similar to this, virtual forum.