Cleansing Users - best action?

Mouth

All,

I've recently send out an email to all my sites users. (Background: It was of a very mild commercial nature, a newsletter essentially, primarily about the actions of a company my site support/partners with, and how those actions have been very beneficial to the industry/niche my site is in)

I now have a list of hard-bounce email addresses, and a list of un-subscribes. I wondering how best to action these with XF?

For the unsubscribes, I thought that just unselecting the "Receive site mailings" option on user accounts would be the way to go. Put then I thought they still might want site/xf emails, just not emails of the newsletter style. Perhaps creating a User Group and putting them into that is the way to go? Just to know these users don't want future, if any, commercial/newsletters emails.

For the hard-bounces, I thought that deleting the accounts was the most appropriate course of action. But then I realised that users may still be very active, just that they've never updated their email address since registering (eg. x years ago) and it's now incorrect and bounces. Perhaps just removing the email address on these user accounts is the best action - is their any implication for XF on an account having no email address?

I had a look at resources, but could not find any add-on that did 'reconfirmation required' of user accounts. For example, admin/mod ticks a box on user account, and next time that user logs-on they are taken to their profile to review/edit/add their details. Any mandatory fields that were empty (eg email address) are required to be filled-in, and if email address validated.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Has anyone had a list of bounces and unsubscribe for their site? What actions did you take?

Thanks.

Reactions: vVv
For the unsubscribes, I thought that just unselecting the "Receive site mailings" option on user accounts would be the way to go. Put then I thought they still might want site/xf emails, just not emails of the newsletter style. Perhaps creating a User Group and putting them into that is the way to go? Just to know these users don't want future, if any, commercial/newsletters emails.

That preference only affects mass emails sent from the Admin CP. It doesn't affect watched thread emails and whatnot. So toggling that setting is a good solution for you.

I had a look at resources, but could not find any add-on that did 'reconfirmation required' of user accounts. For example, admin/mod ticks a box on user account, and next time that user logs-on they are taken to their profile to review/edit/add their details. Any mandatory fields that were empty (eg email address) are required to be filled-in, and if email address validated.

Change xf_user.user_state to email_confirm. You can also edit the user state by editing the user account in the Admin CP.

Thanks Jake :)

Change xf_user.user_state to email_confirm. You can also edit the user state by editing the user account in the Admin CP.

For anyone else looking to do the same or something similar, my query became...

Code:
UPDATE xf_user
INNER JOIN hard_bouncing
ON xf_user.username = hard_bouncing.username
SET xf_user.email = '', xf_user.user_state = 'email_confirm'

Top Bottom