XF 1.4 Clarifying how permissions work

Lone Wolf

I've always found permissions somewhat perplexing and I think that's because I end up overcomplicating them. I want to clarify how they work XenForo.

There is an option called inherit. I understand that forums will 'inherit' from nodes. I also believe that nodes 'inherit' from...

ACP --> Users --> Usergroup Permissions

So are the permissions that set in Users --> Usergroup permissions the 'Master Permissions' and they are inherited by everything automatically unless I specifically change the permissions of an individual node, forum or page?

Ok I read those but my board's permissions dont seem to be following those rules....

User X is added to the banned users usergroup (not banned via the ban function). He should still have access to an appeals forum under the Contact Us Node.

Usergroup Permissions for view node (Not Set)

Node Permissions for Contact Us (Allow)

Forums Permissions for Appeals Forums (Allow)

User X gets following error... You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

So I Analyze permissions and get the following...

Global Permission Values
Banned Users: Not Set (No)

Content Permission Values
Contact Us - Banned Users: Allow

Final Value (Content): Yes

So even the analyze agrees with me that this should be allow but I get an error. I've tried logging in as the test user and using test permissions as the test user. Nothing works.

Does the user have access to every node above the target node in the tree? You can never access a child node if you can't access the parent.

The parent node is contact us and then the child (forum) is appeals. The user has access to both. But the user does not have access to any other node or forum.

Now I'm wondering if setting 'view node' to 'not set' in user permissions makes all nodes invisible regardless of permission?

Now I'm wondering if setting 'view node' to 'not set' in user permissions makes all nodes invisible regardless of permission?

Ok this was the issue. In usergroup permissions. I set 'view' to 'not set' and there is no equivalent to 'view' in nodes or forums so you cant set anything to 'allow' to override 'view' on certain forums/nodes.

That was the cause. Thanks @Mike and @Brogan

Do you mean the main 'View' permission?

If so, that is for the entire board.

Yep. I didn't realise.

I just assumed it had a counterpart in the node/forum permissions. Maybe it should be separated from the list the same way 'view node' is everywhere else. That would draw attention to it.

Top Bottom