Claims to fame?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
My small forum has only been around for a few years but in that time it has been mentioned on BBC TV and radio during Formula One sessions.
We've also had some high profile visitors such as Formula One teams, etc.

Most recently, the ex-Renault F1 technical director Pat Symonds, wrote an article for Motor Sport Magazine and used all of our overtaking data as the basis for it.
As the data is available to members only, I can only presume he is a member. I haven't worked out which one though :D

Anyone else got any forum related claims to fame?

Not sure if this falls inline with claims to fame.. But, on my site an employee at Ford logged on and posted this to us. We were pretty excited that they are watching us:)

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

My small forum has only been around for a few years but in that time it has been mentioned on BBC TV and radio during Formula One sessions.

Most recently, the ex-Renault F1 technical director Pat Symonds, wrote an article for Motor Sport Magazine and used all of our overtaking data as the basis for it.
As the data is available to members only, I can only presume he is a member. I haven't worked out which one though :D

Anyone else got any claims to fame?
That's awesome stuff Brogan.

One day, oooooooone day...................

My forum gets passed along when the recruits are in Coast Guard bootcamp. That's the highest form of praise for me.

That's really cool and exciting for both of you to have such national recognition.

IBM CEO Sam Palmisano has mentioned us several times over the last 5 years in print media, interviews and sales conferences. It sounds impressive, but doesn't really mean much.
In all honesty, I much prefer a message from a joe sixpack who says information on my site helped him fix a problem and make his kid's soccer game than to be mentioned by a CEO because thats the real reason I run the site.

Anyone else got any forum related claims to fame?

Wow, that is pretty cool stuff going down right there Brogan, nope, can't say as my site is famous in any way other than I'm there, but then that doesn't count does it, oh well, back to mediocrity I go. :)

Yeah, Microsoft has banned people for having my url in their profiles and has even made it an illegal word if you try putting it in your motto. My site has also been mentioned on CNET 2x I think. Major Nelson (those that game on 360 should know him) has mentioned my site in his podcast...even though he was bashing it, he mentioned us lol

Other than that, I don't think I've been mentioned on TV so that's pretty BA! Congrats :)

Umm...
I was on "All Things Considered" last summer (about a minute or two) on NPR talking about how uninformed legislation regarding internet "privacy" could affect sites like ours and innovation in general. Some of the provisions in a proposed bill in the House were talking about things like not allowing any use of cookies (at all!) or even letting you know what IP address o_O someone was coming from unless the visitor had "opted in" on a very scary warning that made it sound like we were going to horribly abuse their privacy.

It was very instructive to find out how many staffers on the hill thought that making the very IP address privacy information was a good idea. Hell, if I (by which I mean my server) don't know your IP, how on earth am I supposed to send you a webpage?:eek:

Anyway, showed me a whole new side of what lobbyists do. They aren't all evil PAC reps buying votes ;).

We've showed up in a few articles regarding online brand communities, and social networking. Even been used in a few University studies on the topic. :)

Top Bottom