1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Claims to fame?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brogan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

My small forum has only been around for a few years but in that time it has been mentioned on BBC TV and radio during Formula One sessions.
    We've also had some high profile visitors such as Formula One teams, etc.

Most recently, the ex-Renault F1 technical director Pat Symonds, wrote an article for Motor Sport Magazine and used all of our overtaking data as the basis for it.
    As the data is available to members only, I can only presume he is a member. I haven't worked out which one though :D

Anyone else got any forum related claims to fame?

DRE, Jeremy, Dan and 1 other person like this.
  2. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Is this related to forums and web only?

3. wickedstangs

wickedstangs Well-Known Member

Not sure if this falls inline with claims to fame.. But, on my site an employee at Ford logged on and posted this to us. We were pretty excited that they are watching us:)

DRE, steven s, tickedon and 1 other person like this.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

That's awesome stuff Brogan.

One day, oooooooone day...................

Brogan likes this.
  5. Brogan

I've updated my first post to add "forum related".

I thought it would be good to see when small forums get recognised.

EQnoble likes this.
  6. boatswife

boatswife Active Member

My forum gets passed along when the recruits are in Coast Guard bootcamp. That's the highest form of praise for me.

That's really cool and exciting for both of you to have such national recognition.

Peggy, Brogan and Dean like this.
  7. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

I think it is good to be recognized for your hard work and apparently that is what is happening with your forum Brogan, you are also judged by the folks who read, I have had many high profile people reading my forums over the years (and linking to them) including law firms, bankers, Google, IBM, Yahoo and so on, so even though you may not be making a fortune at it, your forum is a source of valuable information for many.

Brogan likes this.
  8. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I think my 318ti.org site was mentioned in a British auto mag.
    Page views shot up. :)

Peggy likes this.
  9. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

One of my sites has been mentioned in a few magazines over the years.

Peggy likes this.
  10. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

My site has been mentioned by me in plenty of places, does that count? ;)

11. fattony69

fattony69 Well-Known Member

My client's site was mentioned on ABC World News and many news sites around the country.

Peggy likes this.
  12. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

IBM CEO Sam Palmisano has mentioned us several times over the last 5 years in print media, interviews and sales conferences. It sounds impressive, but doesn't really mean much.
    In all honesty, I much prefer a message from a joe sixpack who says information on my site helped him fix a problem and make his kid's soccer game than to be mentioned by a CEO because thats the real reason I run the site.

a legacy reborn, Tessa and EQnoble like this.
  13. fattony69

14. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

That domain is for sale Tony. I'm guessing they couldn't afford it....

DRE likes this.
  15. ToDie4

ToDie4 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is pretty cool stuff going down right there Brogan, nope, can't say as my site is famous in any way other than I'm there, but then that doesn't count does it, oh well, back to mediocrity I go. :)

Brogan likes this.
  16. fattony69

Oops. I always do that. http://UnemployedwomAn.com

boatswife likes this.
  17. Brogan

I've just found out that we were also mentioned in F1 Racing this month.

Two Formula One magazines in the same month! Nice :D

DRE, Saeed, Peggy and 5 others like this.
  18. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

Yeah, Microsoft has banned people for having my url in their profiles and has even made it an illegal word if you try putting it in your motto. My site has also been mentioned on CNET 2x I think. Major Nelson (those that game on 360 should know him) has mentioned my site in his podcast...even though he was bashing it, he mentioned us lol

Other than that, I don't think I've been mentioned on TV so that's pretty BA! Congrats :)

Brogan likes this.
  19. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Umm...
    I was on "All Things Considered" last summer (about a minute or two) on NPR talking about how uninformed legislation regarding internet "privacy" could affect sites like ours and innovation in general. Some of the provisions in a proposed bill in the House were talking about things like not allowing any use of cookies (at all!) or even letting you know what IP address o_O someone was coming from unless the visitor had "opted in" on a very scary warning that made it sound like we were going to horribly abuse their privacy.

It was very instructive to find out how many staffers on the hill thought that making the very IP address privacy information was a good idea. Hell, if I (by which I mean my server) don't know your IP, how on earth am I supposed to send you a webpage?:eek:

Anyway, showed me a whole new side of what lobbyists do. They aren't all evil PAC reps buying votes ;).

We've showed up in a few articles regarding online brand communities, and social networking. Even been used in a few University studies on the topic. :)

20. Craigr

Craigr Active Member

Congrats. Will watch out for the magazine, i buy it every month. :)

EQnoble and Brogan like this.