Duplicate  CKEditor

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I could probably actually release a fully functioning version quickly but it doesn't quite fit in with Adam's vision.

There's an official BB Code plugin for CKEditor, but this is what it looks like:

http://nightly.ckeditor.com/7585/_samples/bbcode.html

See how many functions are missing compared to the default editor?

Quite a bit, but how hard would it be to take the functions that are missing and make them output BBCode as well ?

As it has been already said, displaying any wysiwyg editor in XenForo is easy. Then you have to develop all the structure to convert BBcode to HTML and HTML to bbcode... and do it both in php and javascript (in order to integrate XenForo Ajax function). When you look inside XenForo code and realize all the work developers already made, it's pretty sure they won't change the html editor... or they need to start from zero. And it's pretty sure that nobody will develop -alone- another wysiwyg editor for XenForo with the same functionalities.

As it has been already said, displaying any wysiwyg editor in XenForo is easy. Then you have to develop all the structure to convert BBcode to HTML and HTML to bbcode... and do it both in php and javascript (in order to integrate XenForo Ajax function). When you look inside XenForo code and realize all the work developers already made, it's pretty sure they won't change the html editor... or they need to start from zero. And it's pretty sure that nobody will develop -alone- another wysiwyg editor for XenForo with the same functionalities.

If this is the case, then I am expecting that the xenForo devs will not be switching to CKEditor ? Then that would leave the community to muster up something.

If this is the case, then I am expecting that the xenForo devs will not be switching to CKEditor ? Then that would leave the community to muster up something.
Which is why this will be released as a free open source project.

Alone this maybe to big for any 1 single person to continue the on going development. But I hired Christ because I have faith that he'll be able to release the 1st stable product and from there it will be up to the community to get involved.

Once it is released .... XenForo Staff could even use it or build off of it. We're kind of trying to kick start this now.

I could probably actually release a fully functioning version quickly but it doesn't quite fit in with Adam's vision.

There's an official BB Code plugin for CKEditor, but this is what it looks like:

http://nightly.ckeditor.com/7585/_samples/bbcode.html

See how many functions are missing compared to the default editor?
I know.

I'm shooting for the moon.... Their BB Code version is just missing some functions .... It's not always up to date or supported.

So the goal is to find away to have the default html version talk to XenForo some how. At least that is what I hope for. Get some kind of "translator" in between them.

Why only CKEditor?

http://www.wysibb.com/demo/
http://www.sceditor.com/posts/bbcode-demo/
http://nicedit.com/demos.php
http://www.ecardmax.com/hoteditor/index.html#
and many more...

Any editor must be simle integrated to XenForo. And developers of XenForo are can write classes and interfaces for this. Hard replace default editor from TinyMCE to CKEditor is not good idea.
CKEditor offers

• Long term support
  • Cross browser compatibly
  • Extensive default features and options pre-build in
  • Open Source community (good for support and development)
  • Stable
  • Current
  • Highly documented

CKEditor offers

• Long term support
  • Cross browser compatibly
  • Extensive default features and options pre-build in
  • Open Source community (good for support and development)
  • Stable
  • Current
  • Highly documented
1. Many features are not support by XenForo's BB-code.
2. "Integrating CKEditor in commercial software while at the same time satisfying the terms of the Open Source license" - some limit's for distribute XenForo (commercial software).

P.S. I want have simple way for include any editor to XenForo. Not only TinyMCE or CKEditor. And I want have user option "Using editor YYYY".

P.S. I want have simple way for include any editor to XenForo. Not only TinyMCE or CKEditor. And I want have user option "Using editor YYYY".

It isn't simple to include any editor in XenForo. That's why we need to focus on a good one. TinyMCE and CKEditor are the two best out there, with an agreeable license.

Your point 2, by the way, isn't valid either. CKEditor is being integrated into commercial software but that integration will be released free and open source, just like the editor itself. You aren't buying the commercial software containing the open source software and neither would I make it a paid add-on.

CKEditor is being integrated into commercial software but that integration will be released free and open source, just like the editor itself. You aren't buying the commercial software containing the open source software and neither would I make it a paid add-on.
Well...

For many companies and products Open Source licenses are not an option. This is why the CKSource Closed Distribution License (CDL) has been introduced. It is a non-copyleft license which gives companies complete freedom when integrating CKEditor into their products and websites.
This license offers a very flexible way to integrate CKEditor into your commercial application. The commercial license has the following advantages over the Open Source one:
  • Professional assistance from CKEditor development team is available to you via a dedicated support channel.
  • Modifications and enhancements to the editor do not need to be released under an Open Source license.
  • There is no need to distribute any Open Source license terms alongside with your product and no references to them have to be done.
  • No references to CKEditor have to be done in any files distributed with your product.
  • The source code of CKEditor does not have to be distributed alongside with your product.
  • You can remove any file from CKEditor when integrating it with your product.
  • Your financial contribution helps us improve the editor even further, add new features, and maintain the high quality that made you choose CKEditor in the first place!
The CDL is a lifetime license valid for all releases of CKEditor published during and before the year following your purchase. It is valid for FCKeditor releases, too. The CDL includes one year of dedicated e-mail support from the original CKEditor development team.
1. Ok. Not needed.
2. Any modifications and enhancements developers of XenForo are must to be released under an Open Source license. Developers are ready to it?
3. Ok. Not needed.
4. Developers are ready to it?
5. Ok. Not needed.
6. Ok. But developers are ready to it?
7. Ok :)

If any of doubtful positions is unacceptable for developers XenForo they will be compelled to buy the commercial licence. Developers are ready to it? :)

I don't know what "developers are ready to it" means.

But you're quoting terms of the wrong license. The Open Source license they have is sufficient:

CKEditor is distributed under the GPL, LGPL, and MPL Open Source licenses. This triple copyleft licensing model is flexible and allows you to choose the license that is best suited for your needs. The Open Source licenses are intended for:
  • Integrating CKEditor into Open Source software.
  • Personal and educational use of CKEditor.
  • Integrating CKEditor in commercial software while at the same time satisfying the terms of the Open Source license.
I haven't read the open source license, but in basic terms I assume that as long as any modifications or integrations made are released also under an open source license that the terms of the license are satisfied.

Excuse for the bad English. It is not my native language.

Essence of the citations resulted by me that developers should in what case or modifications to publish such changes. Also should refer in the code to the open license and an original product. It anyway demands from developers to be accurate, not to break the open license. Besides it there can be a conflict of resetting of operating time to necessity to open a part of the commercial code. It is not assured that developers will have a desire to be engaged in it in the commercial product. After all very often there are various conflicts of licenses.
To avoid what or conflicts, it is offered to acquire the commercial license. Again, I am not assured that developers will be interested in such acquisition.
In general, the specified problems can be. Therefore I would not began to urge to integrate developers CKEditor in XenForo. And here to make easy integration of any editor would be very opportunely. Then there would be indirect additions of integration of various editors. It automatically would relieve developers of possible problems of licensing, and to users would give a choice of editors.

Top Bottom