CKEditor vs Yui Editor

CKEditor is free to use and develop. So yes, you can add it to your website.

However, it does cost to add it to any paid product. So if you were planning on making something (with CKEditor included in it) that would cost others money .... You must first pay Ckeditor to do so.

So if you wanted it in your site, it wouldn't cost you anything (free) to do so.

But say for example, company like XenForo, who sells XenForo, wanted to add it to XenForo ... They would need to pay for it.

Sounds great! thanks. I will give it a try! i still prefer the yahoo editor style more but it is a bit buggy in term of functions.

Adam, are you sure about this?

This page reads CKEditor is under several free licenses.
http://ckeditor.com/about/license

This includes LGPL and LGPL is especially if you want to use it in a non-free software (which is the difference between GPL and LGPL). You just have to remain CKEditor as as free software, i.e. provide sources and so on.

I cannot see a reason why you HAVE to buy a commercial license unless you want support or cannot use a free license.

Adam, are you sure about this?

This page reads CKEditor is under several free licenses.
http://ckeditor.com/about/license

This includes LGPL and LGPL is especially if you want to use it in a non-free software (which is the difference between GPL and LGPL). You just have to remain CKEditor as as free software, i.e. provide sources and so on.

I cannot see a reason why you HAVE to buy a commercial license unless you want support or cannot use a free license.
YES

The license is made so that if I sell a product with CKEditor included in that paid product, thus your customers would be also paying for CKEditor.... That you, yourself, would need to pay CKEditor.

The part of the license that you noted is more aimed toward people would make a free add-on (for example) for a paid product.

For example, XenForo is a paid products. But the add-on a developer here could make could be free. So technically, I would need to own (buy) XenForo to use CKEditor. Thus technically CKEditor (through the add-on) would be associated with a paid product. But CKEditor would still be free, provided the add-on was free.

However if XenForo themselves released a copy of XenForo with CKEditor, they would need to pay the licensing fee. Or if you made a paid add-on with it, you would need to pay the fee.

The key point being, whoever is making a profit from CKEditor, needs to buy it. That is how the full license agreement is outlined.

I've read and re-read their agreement. But more importantly, others here (including myself) have directly inquired with CKEditor.

Okay... Thanks for clarification.

I just thought (well, I guess this was wrong in the first place :D) because TinyMCE is LGPL'd too and they offer a commercial license which is useful if you want to benefit from the following:
  • Modifications do not need to be released
  • License terms and source code don't need to be distributed
http://www.tinymce.com/enterprise/licensing.php
This sounded to me like I could use LGPL'd software (which CKEditor is) in a paid program as long as I don't modify it (or release my modifications under the terms of LGPL) and distribute source code and license terms. Which isn't exactly hard as license terms is just a file and why would I want to crypt the source code?
This makes me wonder if KAM bought a commercial license for TinyMCE too... And if so, why there's js/tinymce/license.txt...

This is essentially what Wikipedia says about LGPL too:
The LGPL allows developers and companies to use and integrate LGPL software into their own (even proprietary) software without being required (by the terms of a strong copyleft) to release the source code of their own software-parts. Merely the LGPL software-parts need to be modifiable by end-users (via source code availability): therefore, in the case of proprietary software, the LGPL-parts are usually used in the form of a shared library (e.g. DLL), so that there is a clear separation between the proprietary parts and open source LGPL parts.

TBH if you're planning something commercial, you've got no reason to use the likes of CKEditor or Yui. If you were sensible you'd be using Redactor. For $49 it's a no brainer if you're selling a product. Obviously for something free that you make no money from, a free editor is the way to go.

Top Bottom