[CinVin] Home (quick 'homepage' for widgets) [Deleted]

CinVin

CinVin submitted a new resource:

CinVin: Home - Instant "Home" page for XenForo widgets

CinVin Home is a quick and easy way to have a XenForo "Home" page for widgets. There are no manual edits required, automatically creates a "Home" navigation menu, pre-installs the same XenForo sidebar widgets displayed on the Forum home page, and has multiple spots for ads and widgets.

NOTE: This does not include any widgets or new XF features, it's just a quick & simple way to have a 'Home' page in XF without having to do any manual steps while also allowing you to add widgets &...​

Read more about this resource...

CinVin updated CinVin: Home with a new update entry:

1.0.1 - Added new "Home Page Description" option

Added a new option for having a description unique to your home / portal page instead of using the XF default description. If left blank the CinVin Home description will default to the XF description.

View attachment 228039

Note: The description of the "Display Home Page Description" option was updated accordingly.

View attachment 228040

Read the rest of this update entry...

Just checking in to say that the current version works fine with the 2.2 betas (at least as of up to B5 so far). (y)

Possible to use @Lawrence 's addon for his 'Thread preview widget' on the front page ? Using an existing widget position created by this addon?

Would be fantastic. I hope someone else has had luck!

How/where do I edit the sidenav on the home page to add a widget or other content?

Or alternatively, how do I add a widget position to the sidenav? I added this to the home page template but it doesn't show in widget positions:

Code:
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_sidenav" position="sidenav" />

<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_sidenav" />

Last edited:
How/where do I edit the sidenav on the home page to add a widget or other content?
You should be seeing positions for the sidebar like you would any other position when adding a widget. When you do an 'Add Widget' there is a list of locations on the screen; choose the "[CinVin] Home: Sidebar" location.

1632528273862.webp

Not the sidebar - the sidenav on the left
What sidenav? :unsure: Like the default XF pages, this has a main content area and then an optional sidebar, that's it. Are you thinking of a different Home/Portal add-on? I think the Themehouse one had a sidenav.

No it's this one. Not using anything TH. Well it has a sidenav. I don't know how it got there though.

It has three widgets in it currently:

scubaboard-sidenav.webp

It appears I was able to add the sidenav and three widgets by adding this to the bottom of the template:

Code:
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_sidebar" position="sidebar" />
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_sidenav" position="sidenav" />
<xf:ad position="cinvin_home_above" />
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_content_above" />
<xf:ad position="cinvin_home_content_above" />
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_content" />
<xf:ad position="cinvin_home_content_below" />
<xf:widgetpos id="cinvin_home_content_below" />
<xf:ad position="cinvin_home_below" />

<xf:widget key="cxf_login_widget" position="sidenav" />
<xf:widget key="forum_overview_members_online" position="sidenav" />
<xf:widget key="forum_overview_forum_statistics" position="sidenav" />
<xf:widget key="forum_overview_share_page" position="sidenav" />

The bottom three widgets are displaying. The top one is not.

No it's this one. Not using anything TH. Well it has a sidenav. I don't know how it got there though.

It has three widgets in it currently:
If you're seeing a 3 column layout (content, sidebar, and a sidenav) and if you're definitely using this add-on, then you likely modified the "cinvin_home_view" template for the sidenav items.

But, it's been a bit since anybody has requested anything with this one (it's really plug & play with some options) I'll add it to the To Do list. :) As we're talking I'm playing on my dev install; looks like I should be able to release something either late tonight or over the weekend. I'm online with work so not sure how much free time I'll have tonight to play around but it'll definitely be this weekend for an update to be posted. Just need to do some testing with different scenarios.

1632530400737.webp 👈 :D

The bottom three widgets are displaying. The top one is not.
... because that widget position is not defined. ;) It needs to be defined while in 'dev mode' for it to be recognized. I've already got it on my dev site, just need to test & package it.

CinVin updated CinVin: Home (quick 'homepage' for widgets) with a new update entry:

1.0.2 - Added new "sidenav" widget position

At the suggestion of @djbaxter a new widget position has been added. The "sidenav" position, by default is on the left side of the page, the "sidebar" position is on the right, and the content position is in the middle of the page.

When adding a widget, use the [CinVin] Home: Sidenav position name to put the widget on the left.

View attachment 257714

NOTE: Even though the 'sidenav' looks like the 'sidebar', it behaves differently by...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Oh. I am actually in dev mode but that's excellent. I'll wait for the new version. :)
Try the 1.0.2 update just posted. While testing I realized that 'sidenav' behaves differently from 'sidebar' on small screens so be sure to check out the update comments. 👍

EDIT: With this update, you'll likely want to revert your changes to cinvin_home_view and then change the widget positions to the new [CinVin] Home: Sidenav position. I'm always curious how it's being used so if you've got any other changes to the default template, let me know and I'll see if we can make them options instead of having to update the template. :)

Top Bottom