Third party Chrome doesn't remember 'stay logged in' on xenforo.com

Grover

See: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-chrome-stay-logged-in-doesnt-function.12496/

I am not sure if it's a bug, but it's curious that only xenforo.com seems to be affected by the issue I am experiencing. I cleaned my Chrome cache in every way possible, multiple times. Every site I need to log on to remembers my login details and logs me in automatically every time. Only on xenforo.com it doens't work anymore (I have this issue since a couple of days).

In Firefox there is no problem however.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I use Chrome and have done for the last 6 months+ on here.

It works fine for me.

The same applies to my own XenForo powered site.

Grover

Strangely enough it indeed only seems to appear for me on xenforo.com ... everything else (like Google Calendar and several other sites where I need to log in) works fine.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I posted this on the other thread but if you sign out and clear all cache, including cookies, passwords, etc. then that should fix it.

Grover

Might be obvious but have you checked your exclusions in the Chrome options? You may have XF excluded.
Yeah, but no... I haven't changed a thing on my side. I just started noticing these problems on XF.com with Chrome a few days ago. I searched on Google and found out that lots of people have problems with cookies/cache of Chrome, but in my case it's strange that only XF.com seems to be affected by this (for me).

James

Grover, log out and back in again (ensuring you tick the stay logged in box), then do either:
Right click -> Inspect Element -> Resources -> Cookies -> xenforo.com
Spanner icon -> Options -> Under the Hood -> Content settings... -> Cookies -> Show cookies and other site data... -> Search: xenforo

Once doing one of the above methods, see if the cookie name xf_user is visible once logged in.

Grover

Grover, log out and back in again (ensuring you tick the stay logged in box), then do either:
Right click -> Inspect Element -> Resources -> Cookies -> xenforo.com
Spanner icon -> Options -> Under the Hood -> Content settings... -> Cookies -> Show cookies and other site data... -> Search: xenforo

Once doing one of the above methods, see if the cookie name xf_user is visible once logged in.
Hello James,

When perform the 1st action I see this:

__utmz
123000322.1303302129.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)
.xenforo.com
/
Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:22:09 GMT
xf_session
066c8fcce7ba4a41aefd96046f528766
xenforo.com
/
Session

__utma
.xenforo.com
/
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 22:41:16 GMT
__utmc
.xenforo.com
/
Session
__utmb
.xenforo.com
/
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:11:16 GMT
_twitter_sess
BAh7CDoPY3JlYXRlZF9hdGwrCBZtGkUuASIKZmxhc2hJQzonQWN0aW9uQ29u%250AdHJvbGxlcjo6Rmxhc2g6OkZsYXNoSGFzaHsABjoKQHVzZWR7ADoHaWQiJWUz%250ANzZjMTA3Y2Q2OTU0NDgwM2I4NzZjOWIzZmM1OTU5--f3460d0073f09bf5d3f3c6fca12d4243cbd101bc
.twitter.com
/
Session
(Aaarghhh... how I long for http://xenforo.com/community/threads/table-bbcode-functionality.11123/ !)

Anyway, I am still having this problem, only on XenForo.com

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
There is no XenForo cookie being set it would seem, hence why you are having the problem.

Have you perhaps blocked cookies for this site inadvertently?

Grover

There is no XenForo cookie being set it would seem, hence why you are having the problem.

Have you perhaps blocked cookies for this site inadvertently?
Not that I am aware of Brogan, I didn't change a single thing in Chrome. Not sure what I am overlooking (since it's apparently a thing on my side).

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Don't worry, it's just a glitch in the matrix, we'll get it sorted ;)

Check your cookie settings here - they should be the same as mine.
cookies.PNG

Grover

Don't worry, it's just a glitch in the matrix, we'll get it sorted ;)

Thank you, Mr. Tank
(or your prefer Morpheus?),

Well... I already checked those option screens a zillion (or should I say: a 'Zionly') times and all my option are set correctly. That's why it's rather frustrating this problem keeps occurring, because everything seems to be set correctly in Chrome (I didn't change a thing to begin with... I started have this problem on XF.com spontaneously a few days ago)

F

Floris

Can't reproduce. I have used it since Chrome 10 now 24/7 and I stay logged in on all the domains on the same site.

make sure your apc has a unique cache and your cookie prefix is set in config.php

F

Floris

Oh, ok. xfcom
NO problems here either.

I am on osx snow leopard 10.6.7 , 64bit, and using chrome and safari to browse here. No firewall or security software installed that could block cookies or alike.

craigiri

I am a long time mac user and have no doubts that Chrome acts a little funny on some sites - I think mostly with JS.
I use FF, Chrome and sometime Safari to test...but Chrome and FF on a daily basis. I will often find parts of my site or other site...small things like buttons that I push and nothing happens...in Chrome, but then opening FF and using the same button produces results.

This is probably one of those things which is tough to troubleshoot. I just don't.

Yesterday I was helping a friend who was finding that a big financial portal was not working right on his new mac. I went through Safari, FF and then Chrome, and still was only partially solving the problem (Chrome, in this case, was working the best).
As a last ditch effort I downloaded Opera...and that worked the best of all four! Hey, when you can't work with it, you work around it.