Browser issue Chrome 66+: Smilies broken when using browser zoom

Steffen

Affected version
In Chrome 65 everything is fine. But in Chrome 66 and 67 the smilies are broken if you zoom to 110% or 125% (150% is fine for some reason).

This issue does not seem to be OS-specific. I've tested on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, and macOS.

The issue is not limited to the editor toolbar shown in the screenshot.

Screenshot from 2018-03-23 16-40-52-fs8.webp

Thanks for reporting this to them. It exists in Canary (67), although I can't reproduce it in Chromium.

Certainly seems to be something on their side as I can't imagine they'd expect this to be working as intended now.

According to the comments in the bug report, Chrome 66 will be promoted to the stable channel with this regression unfixed.

That's unfortunate, but so be it.

We won't be implementing a workaround. At the very least we could ensure that new installs use 22px rather than 100% but I don't fancy much looping through everyone's smilies on upgrade, trying to figure out whether we can safely set the background-size to a pixel value rather than percentage etc. so ultimately, it's probably best to just wait for them to fix it.

Putting the following into your extra.less template should fix the issue (assuming that all your smilies have a size of exactly 22x22 pixels which is the case for the default smilies):
CSS:
.smilie--sprite {
    background-size: 22px !important;
}

What should also work: disable the checkbox "Enable CSS sprite mode with the following parameters" for all smilies (could have a small negative impact on page load times if you are not using HTTP/2).

Top Bottom