XF 1.4 Choppy scrolling (noticed on Safari, Mac Yosemite)

creativeforge

(Please move to appropriate forum if not the right one? Thanks!)

Hi all,

Some members have been complaining about choppy scrolling today, pointing to the background image as the culprit. Evidently not the case, being only 60kb, but I changed it for an image weighing about 320 bytes. The issue remains.

VI-CONTROL

So I checked on GTMetrix and here are the results:

a680d6047ab1f403db24a742909a07a5.webp
b84137b6273b77e17a7afdbd5a6dbb4b.webp

130ac728c1da92ec2642ecc62e8c7c76.webp

=-=-=-=

I'm wondering about the "defer parsing of javascript?" How wold I do this?

Anyone having knowledge of the other stuff that is low rated, I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Regards,

Andre

Deferring JS can lead to many issues, I'd recommend you tackle it last. One thing I noticed is that your browser caching isn't getting top marks, it may mean your users continue to download the same images rather than relying on good old local cache.

Look into your server (nginx/apache) config, make sure you crank up the expiry on static elements all the way up to 11 where feasible.

Hi, thanks, however I don't know this all means... The server is running Apache, but I can't see any static elements settings. Is this done in CPanel or via an htaccess file?

Thanks!

Hi, thanks, however I don't know this all means... The server is running Apache, but I can't see any static elements settings. Is this done in CPanel or via an htaccess file?

Thanks!
I don't use cpanel or apache but here's a sample I pulled for htaccess rules:
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access plus 2 days"

You'd set this for static assets like images, js, css etc

Yosemite scrolling choppiness is a relatively common complaint from what I've heard, the above likely will not fix it. Not a Mac person so can't help on that front.

You'd set this for static assets like images, js, css etc

Yosemite scrolling choppiness is a relatively common complaint from what I've heard, the above likely will not fix it. Not a Mac person so can't help on that front.

Thanks ichpen!

This issue is mostly related to style, specially the fixed navigation tab.

Hi Roldan, when you say fixed navigation, you mean a sticky nav?

Interesting, someone just complained yesterday how that sticky hinders the view on mobile phones...

Also, can having addons that are deactivated but still installed, slow the serving of pages?

Thanks!

Interesting, someone just complained yesterday how that sticky hinders the view on mobile phones...

Also, can having addons that are deactivated but still installed, slow the serving of pages?

Thanks!

Just try disabling the sticky nav to see if that's the actual cause of the problem(it's ran on a ton of other sites with no problems reported).

Top Bottom