XF 1.4 Performance woes - sluggish on some Macs, and slow on PC

creativeforge

There are Mac users who can't stand the sluggishness, as well as scrolling issues. Its not flickering (something reported with OS Yosemite) but choppy. I haven't tried on mobile (I don't have a mobile device).

So I ran a GTMetrix scan, and here are the results.

The PORTAL page is a WordPress installation (different database).

http://www.vi-control.net/

1829442707573ca60f658033dee94758.webp

c788e443eb2bc830ed7362a26aa68e24.webp

The Xenforo FORUM is here:

http://www.vi-control.net/community

123ffa6de0c17c38273c965a7f772419.webp

05c750ad3c2cdf65f34fe117f48f979a.webp

I'm a bit lost (OK I'm clueless) what to do with these settings. Anyone has knowledge and experience? I see a few things that seem worrisome, like Expiry headers, Gzip compression, defer parsing javascript, images sizes (when I check the ones mentioned they are quite small so I don't get this one).

Anyone knows of a set of settings I can do via my CPanel, to improve this poor performance? We have a few million posts and over 10,000 members, although the attendance has dropped dramatically since the conversion.

So I'd like the performance to NOT be a deterrent! :)

BTW, is 1.5 bringing anything more to the table in that department?

Thanks a bunch!

Andre

What webserver are you using?
Odds are, since he said cPanel, it's Apache. Few splurge on the option of LiteSpeed.

There are Mac users who can't stand the sluggishness, as well as scrolling issues. Its not flickering (something reported with OS Yosemite) but choppy. I haven't tried on mobile (I don't have a mobile device).

So I ran a GTMetrix scan, and here are the results.
Anyone knows of a set of settings I can do via my CPanel, to improve this poor performance? We have a few million posts and over 10,000 members, although the attendance has dropped dramatically since the conversion.

So I'd like the performance to NOT be a deterrent! :)
Since you are using (most likely) Apache, you need to get REALLY involved in tweaking it to the max. You could always get a LiteSpeed license and use with cPanel - or if you don't need a panel use NGINX. Mine is running in SSL mode if you notice - but I'm still getting a 97/81 score.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-19-at-12.22.12-PM.webp

Your problem has nothing to do with your webserver, you just need to remove the fixed background (on the portal) and the fixed header menu (on your forum)

Your problem has nothing to do with your webserver, you just need to remove the fixed background (on the portal) and the fixed header menu (on your forum)

Actually yes, the hosting tech support could not access the site themselves via SSL and had to reboot the server.

And the member who had issues wrote this morning to let me know his problem went away, so great news in the regard.

Thanks!

Andre

Ahemmmm... mine has a fixed background also.... so that doesn't (on the XF side) have that much to do with it... the issue is that the server needs to be optimized for the HTTP configs.
A simple image won't cause that kind of problems... otherwise there would be loads of people having issues.

Top Bottom