Lack of interest Chief Post

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Shelley

I've always wanted this as a built in feature and thought. Start the day with this suggestion. Something like we have with the chief post for vb where you can enable the option per forum.

It's usefulness for me is high (not sure about others) but whenever I want a resources area this is the hack I use. Another reason, is whenever I create an "announcements" area the important information it be nice for the OP to be present on all pages and still read the latest response. It's something I've never seen for default products but would be beneficial I'd imagine for the users thinking of going to XenForo. Chief posts for important announcements and site related stuff is the main reason why I'm suggesting this feature to be added.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think this could be done through styling. I've played around with vBulletin, and I did this through the styling elements, but I agree, seems a nice idea.

You didn't really say what the suggestion actually was specifically, but I think you're referring to having the original post on each page of a thread?

You didn't really say what the suggestion actually was specifically, but I think you're referring to having the original post on each page of a thread?

The chief post is a post whereby the styling is a bit different. Take for example on vBulletin.org. In the modifications and styling forum, the first post does not look like a standard stock post. This, the first post, is the chief post, and it stands out from the rest of the posts in the thread.

Correct first post on each page with the option of 2-3 layouts that the user can select that distinguish the chief post from the standard post layout.

This really isn't necessary for most forums unless you have something like a modifications website. The natural way is to continue the discussion in order and not jump back to the beginning on each page.

I think he is referringreffering to something similar to woltlab

125n70l.jpg

I think he is referringreffering to something similar to woltlab

->
The chief post is a post whereby the styling is a bit different. Take for example on vBulletin.org. In the modifications and styling forum, the first post does not look like a standard stock post. This, the first post, is the chief post, and it stands out from the rest of the posts in the thread.
This ->

Correct first post on each page with the option of 2-3 layouts that the user can select that distinguish the chief post from the standard post layout.

Tony's image is suggesting a different display for posts by the thread starter, which is a different suggestion. (And in a thread somewhere around here...)

We use the "chief first post" modification on nearly all of our sites.

Really lends an importance to certain types of posts and gives it an "official" look.

Here are examples of both....

REGULAR POST
USHF_Regular_Post.webp

CHIEF FIRST POST (Customized Layout)
USHF_Chief_Post.webp

....it's a simple dropdown box that creates the choice of either 'regular', 'custom' and also two other choices for posts (left or right align) on the custom layout.

Cezz, I hadn't noticed that 'article view' option before. LOL

That looks pretty good and may do the trick. But, we'd need an option for those that do not use xenPorta. So, maybe that can be adapted. :)

I think a lot of people don't realise that you DONT HAVE TO USE THE PORTAL in XenPorta.

Just uncheck the following options:
  • Set as Index Controller
  • Show Navigation Tab
Done. A few people already do this; they use XenPorta not as a portal, but instead as a sidebar widget framework.

I wasn't even aware that option was there! :eek:

But, I'm with ArnyVee on this one... I'd love to specify a forum to have it displayed like that independently of running XenPorta.

I know I found it by mistake, but an amazing feature it is (though it does add an additional query to every view thread page)... It fits my site perfectly where most of the posts are book reviews where the main post or review is the key topic with additional posts being simply comments about that review!

Top Bottom