• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 2.0 Checking and changing the style on page load

CMTV

Hi!

I need to perform some checkings on every page of the forum and change its style (even for guests) depending on the results.

So I have this code:
PHP:
if(/* Condition */)
{
    // Set style 1
}
else
{
    // Set style 2
}
Where should I place this code? Maybe there is an event for this?

CMTV

Ok, I figured it out. Though I am sure there is a more clean way to do so.

So I created a listener for visitor_setup event. Here is the code of event function:
PHP:
public static function switchTheme(User $visitor)
{
    // Checking stuff

/** @var Option $options */
    $optionRep = \XF::repository('XF:Option');
    $optionRep->options()->offsetSet('defaultStyleId', '2');

if($visitor->user_id)
    {
        $visitor->style_id = 2;
    }
}

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It's possible to set a different style to be used depending on which node you're viewing.

That would be the recommended approach here, there's the code we use to do that in XF\ControllerPlugin\Node:
PHP:
if ($node->effective_style_id)
{
   $this->controller->setViewOption('style_id', $node->effective_style_id);
}
You might find a similar approach is better.

I'd recommend doing this with the controller_pre_dispatch or controller_post_dispatch event.

CMTV

@Chris D I need to be able to set a style of the forum in general on every page of the forum (including admin cp and etc.). Basically I need an event that is always fired when any page is loading with an access to XF object ofcourse.

So it would be better to use controller_pre_dispatch or controller_post_dispatch for my situation?

Last edited:

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yeah I think so. I guess if the current approach you have works, then there might not be a particular reason to change it, but at least that's an alternative approach if your current approach is too restrictive.