Check your backups!

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Similar to the thread by @Kier https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ncement-check-your-mysql-backup.152740/unread

I have dealt with a few issues recently with backup systems not taking complete and accurate backups of a sites contents, so following a restore critical files of a site can be missing. Most of these relate to the inbuilt backup in cpanel/WHM.

Fortunately, each time I have been able to get everything back working with no data loss, but that may not always be the case.

Please make sure you on a semi-regular basis ensure any backups you take are fully complete and don't just assume that because it says it completed successfully, that is has!

Ideally, try to restore the backup to a second hosting account or server, and verify the site loads as expected.

It varies each time, but Ive seen restores where all the core XenForo files are missing, where config files are missing, install locks are missing etc.

That's really odd. Have you brought it up with the cPanel folks? I have never seen this problem before.

That's really odd. Have you brought it up with the cPanel folks? I have never seen this problem before.

We have referred the customers to their hosts accordingly, as they will be better suited to investigate / liaise with cpanel.

We have referred the customers to their hosts accordingly, as they will be better suited to investigate / liaise with cpanel.

Maybe. Still, as an experienced user helping someone through an issue like that, you might be better suited to report it to cPanel yourself.

Regardless of why the files are missing, or the backups do not work, the most important thing here is this, “Ideally, try to restore the backup to a second hosting account or server, and verify the site loads as expected.” If not a different server, at least a test installment area.

Regardless of why the files are missing, or the backups do not work, the most important thing here is this, “Ideally, try to restore the backup to a second hosting account or server, and verify the site loads as expected.” If not a different server, at least a test installment area.
But by the sounds of this 'bug', it might not matter. Even if today's backup is good, tomorrow...

I'd start using something else to backup as a CYA...

Top Bottom