Fixed  Character Bug after import

Mert

There is a major bug within Profile Comments. Non English characters display correct on regular forum topics however they are messed up within profile comments.

The display in profile comments is as following

Code:
Tanýdýðýma çok memnun olduðum hoþ sohbet insan :D keþke cey de olsaydý artýk bi daha ki sefere :)

I see the code to convert to UTF-8, but that looks like it might be a double conversion.

What collation are you using for the tables you're importing from? Is it inconsistent?

These are from old db

Code:
collation_connection	latin1_swedish_ci
collation_database	utf8_general_ci
collation_server	latin1_swedish_ci

The issue can be re producable on all profile messages and it only happens within profile messages.
Can't say anything about PM's as they currently fail to import but all other parts of the site , urls are correctly converted and displaying correct

Yes, looking at my phpadmin, it shows the XF database collation is latin1_swedish_ci.
Should I do something on my VB database before I import into XF?

It looks like the visitormessage table was utf8, while all the other tables were latin1. The data stored in the VM table was actually utf8, and appears to have been converted to latin1 on the fly.

I believe I have a workaround for this issue now, and it should hopefully help the PM import issue too.

Top Bottom