1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Changing The Main Forum Directory

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by LT Jennifer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. LT Jennifer

LT Jennifer Member

I want to change the directory the forum is installed in from "troubles" to "forum" (so I can have more meaningful URLs). I suppose I have to:

(1) Rename the forum directory.

(2) Change the pointer at the server to point to the new directory.

(3) Change Options > Basic Board Information > Board URL from "www.........../troubles" to "www.........../forum".

Is there anything else I need to do? I'm not going to break it if I do, will I? Does each post in the database store the directory name "troubles"?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. LT Jennifer

LT Jennifer Member

Thanks, worked like a charm.

4. orange7

orange7 Member

Brogan, I am getting ready to change my XF directory from /forums to /community. It looks really silly to have /forums/forums in the URL. Can you please give me the rewrite rule for that? And would I place that in the .htacces that would be in the new /community directory?
  5. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Point 5 of that documention covers that part too.
  6. orange7

orange7 Member

I am aware of that, but I am not sure of the correct rewrite. Also, I just wanted to be clear in what directory the rewrite will be placed, in the new /community directory?
  7. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Yes, the rewrite must be placed in the .htaccess file which must be in the root of your forum folder. e.g. in the new community directory.
  8. orange7

orange7 Member

Aaaah ok. Thank you. Now just need a rewrite for it. :)
  9. orange7

orange7 Member

Bump, anyone? Appreciate the help. :)
  10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If you're renaming a directory, you need to put (just) this in a .htaccess file in the old directory:
    Redirect permanent /old-directory http://yourdomain.com/new-directory
    That should suffice.