Changing the input screen in a forum

niden.net

Greetings,

Is there a way to change the input screen(s) in a particular forum? I can see that I can change the default style of a forum but that might be just one step.

I am interested in doing the following:
  • Change the layout of the forum listing (for a particular forum)
  • Change the New Post screen (for that particular forum) to remove the post box and the polls.
How would it be best to do it? Template modifications and/or a new application?

Thanks!

• Change the layout of the forum listing (for a particular forum)

In what way do you want to change the layout?

• Change the New Post screen (for that particular forum) to remove the post box and the polls.

The posting page is useless without a post box. Unless you want to deny people the ability to post in a certain forum in which case you can change the permissions:

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click a forum] -> [click a group]

There is no separate permission for posting polls, but you can edit this template:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> thread_create

Remove this block of code:

Code:
	<xen:require js="js/xenforo/poll.js" />
	<h3 class="textHeading">{xen:phrase post_poll}</h3>	
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt><label for="ctrl_poll_question">{xen:phrase question}:</label></dt>
		<dd><input type="text" name="poll[question]" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_poll_question" maxlength="100" /></dd>
	</dl>	
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt>{xen:phrase possible_responses}:</dt>
		<dd>
			<ul class="PollResponseContainer">
				<li><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
				<li class="PollAddResponseSource"><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
			</ul>
			<input type="button" value="{xen:phrase add_additional_response}" class="PollAddResponseButton button smallButton" data-source="li.PollAddResponseSource" data-container=".PollResponseContainer" data-maximum="{$xenOptions.pollMaximumResponses}" />
		</dd>
	</dl>	
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt></dt>
		<dd>
			<ul>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_multiple"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[multiple]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_multiple" /> {xen:phrase allow_selection_of_multiple_responses}</label></li>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_public_votes"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[public_votes]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_public_votes" /> {xen:phrase display_votes_publicly}</label></li>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_close"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[close]" value="1" class="Disabler" id="ctrl_poll_close" /> {xen:phrase close_this_poll_after}:</label>
					<ul id="ctrl_poll_close_Disabler">
						<li>
							<input type="text" size="5" name="poll[close_length]" value="7" class="textCtrl autoSize" />
							<select name="poll[close_units]" class="textCtrl autoSize">
								<option value="hours">{xen:phrase hours}</option>
								<option value="days" selected="selected">{xen:phrase days}</option>
								<option value="weeks">{xen:phrase weeks}</option>
								<option value="months">{xen:phrase months}</option>
							</select>
						</li>
					</ul>
				</li>
			</ul>
		</dd>
	</dl>

Thanks for the info.

Here is what I was thinking:

Suppose I create a forum and I name it Gallery. I modify the forum listing of that particular forum (I don't know how but this is what I was thinking/asking) to show instead of a list of posts, a list of small card like blocks (say two 'cards') per row. Each of those cards can contain on the left side a thumbnail of the first image in the relevant thread and on the right side additional information such as how many images are there, post times, poster etc.

When clicking on the relevant thread you will be presented with the normal post display screen but there will be no body - just the images.

When trying to create one of those threads, you will end up with again no body or polls for your 'gallery' post, the subject and the pictures you want to upload. People then would be able to reply to your 'gallery' post

Creating that would be as if creating a rudimentary gallery that would be sufficient for quite a lot of forums.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom