XF 1.1 Changing Messages to Post

Cambion

One of my members made a complaint about our conversion and one I slightly agree with.

How would one change the title "Messages" and "Discussions" so that messages now says Posts and Discussions says threads?

Ordinarily I'd say look in Appearance > Phrases and search for (and change) them there.

However as these are two very fundamental phrases I would also expect them to be somewhat hard-coded into XF.

Hopefully one of the devs can confirm whether these can be changed via phrases alone?

Personally I'd just explain to the membership that these are simply different ways of saying the same thing and let them get on with enjoying the new software - after all, aren't threads called topics in IP.Board - did you change every instance of topic? ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Well threads/topics is okay :P
it's more so the messages thing that he was complaining about since when someone says Messages we'd usually think they meant Private Messages(which xenforo calls Conversations).

But i see what you mean...it's an adjustment period for not only me but them as well haha.
Ordinarily I'd say look in Appearance > Phrases and search for (and change) them there.

However as these are two very fundamental phrases I would also expect them to be somewhat hard-coded into XF.

Hopefully one of the devs can confirm whether these can be changed via phrases alone?

Personally I'd just explain to the membership that these are simply different ways of saying the same thing and let them get on with enjoying the new software - after all, aren't threads called topics in IP.Board - did you change every instance of topic? ;)

Cheers,

Well threads/topics is okay :p
it's more so the messages thing that he was complaining about since when someone says Messages we'd usually think they meant Private Messages(which xenforo calls Conversations).

But i see what you mean...it's an adjustment period for not only me but them as well haha.

No worries - we've all been there - fun times indeed when you migrate; lots to do and lots of helping the membership to adjust (to something you've probably been using yourself, in the background, for months).

You're doing very well though if the only complaint is about the phrasing of posts/messages ... :D

Are your members generally liking the change? Mine didn't really take to IP.Board all that well and things have definitely been on an upwards curve since moving to XF.

Personally, I love all the inline modding tools - makes the modding/admin job much quicker. (y)

Cheers,

Oh no, no that's not the only complaint lol Although most complaints can be fixed once i actually figure out how to solve them ha.

Haha, my members are a slight inverse....they do like Xenforo but they do prefer Ipboard. I am not sure if that is because we used IPboard all of 2012 and have only been on Xenforo for about 36 hours as of typing this. So i am not sure if it is just an adjustment period for them or if they really believe Ipboard was better.

I am a huge Ipboard fanboy but i do love that Xenforo feels a LOT smoother than Ipboard...I still am a huge fan of ipboard but just navigating through Xenforo just feels a lot more fluid and smoother, in my opinion.

No worries - we've all been there - fun times indeed when you migrate; lots to do and lots of helping the membership to adjust (to something you've probably been using yourself, in the background, for months).

You're doing very well though if the only complaint is about the phrasing of posts/messages ... :D

Are your members generally liking the change? Mine didn't really take to IP.Board all that well and things have definitely been on an upwards curve since moving to XF.

Personally, I love all the inline modding tools - makes the modding/admin job much quicker. (y)

Cheers,

Top Bottom