Change Thread Author

akia

Is it possible and safe for me to change the Author of a thread to someone else. I've got some imported articles, but want to match them up with the right forum account.

Is it just a case of simply changing the username field in the xf_thread table to match the right username.

Didn't XenFans had an add-on to change the time at some point? Not sure if their read-only site still has it available or not, or whether it allowed for changing of the user, though.

Its only about 10 threads that I need to change, there is only the one post in each thread.

Looking at the link Brogan posted, someone said to change the following:
Come into the table 'xf_thread' and change there 'user_id' and 'username' to the necessary. Post number is stored in the same table in the field 'first_post_id', remember it.

In the table 'xf_post' find the necessary post ('first_post_id' from the table 'xf_thread') and change 'user_id' and 'username'.

Can anyone confirm whether this would work and not cause me any problems down the line.

There are also potentially likes and quotes associated with that post and member.

As I said, lots of related tables so it's not recommended.

Just for the record Jon of waindigo made me a little mod to change the original Join date for a user. Only took him a few mins so this kind of thing is quite possible. It was for users I'm importing from an email list.

Another route to do what the OP asks would be an addon for admins to Log in As User. I had this on another forum software and it's very useful. It needs to allow the admin to log in ADDITIONALLY so they are not logged out of the admincp which gets annoyiong having to re-login twice every time.

With such an addon I could use the frontend to switch IDs then post or otherwise act AS IF I were the other user. Excellent for sorting out newcomer messes.
In the OP situation I'd copy the post in as the desired user, Delete the first one.
That just leaves the later date? I don't know if that is important here.

There are also potentially likes and quotes associated with that post and member.

As I said, lots of related tables so it's not recommended.
There are no likes or quotes or anything, the threads are not even viewable to the members, they've just recently been imported from wordpress via the vbulletin importer.

Top Bottom