Change Members Tab to Recent Activity

Change Members Tab to Recent Activity

Teapot

Teapot submitted a new resource:

Change Members Tab to Recent Activity - Changes the Members tab to link to Recent Activity instead of the Notable Members list.

This guide was helpfully provided by @Jake Bunce on the forums- it is archived here for each access, and I do not claim credit for it.

Basically, I set out to change the member tab to point at Recent Activity, to allow the little-known feature to be more easily discoverable and accessible by users. This trick only changes the link - the members tab is left intact, as are the sub links. Member profiles also appear under the tab like normal.

To do this, go to the Admin Control Panel,...

Read more about this resource...

I am not really sure what this does. Screens (before - after) would be really helpful :) And would be great to provide also a link to that little known feature recent activity so I will know if it is worthwhile to make this change :) This might be obvious for others, but I am pretty new to XenForo, so just figuring out things...

I am not really sure what this does. Screens (before - after) would be really helpful :) And would be great to provide also a link to that little known feature recent activity so I will know if it is worthwhile to make this change :) This might be obvious for others, but I am pretty new to XenForo, so just figuring out things...
Sure thing. :) The Recent Activity can be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/ - it's a list of everything new on the site, whether that be posts, threads, status updates, or so on.

What my mod does is simple: The Members link at the top of the page currently takes you to to either the members list or Notable Members when clicked on, depending on the XenForo version. All this modification does is to change that so you get taken to Recent Activity when you click on it instead. You can still access the member list using the sub links under the Members tab drop down.

Does that help? :)

If anyone wants to change Members Tab linking instead of Recent Activity to Registered Members or Current Visitors, you do the same as this guide suggest, just with a small change:

Members Tab linking to Recent Activity - change the red code to this blue code {xen:link recent-activity}
Members Tab linking to Registered Members - change the red code to this orange code {xen:link members/list}
Members Tab linking to Current Visitors - change the red code to this green code {xen:link online}

It doesn't make much sense, though, to keep the tab reading Members when in fact it takes a user to the recent activity page. How do you change the tab name to reflect what a click on it actually does?

It doesn't make much sense, though, to keep the tab reading Members when in fact it takes a user to the recent activity page. How do you change the tab name to reflect what a click on it actually does?
I kept it because it still worked - it's a members feed. Also, members' profiles are still parented to it.

However, if you want to change it, replace the red text with the name you want:
Rich (BB code):
<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="navLink">{$tabs.members.title}</a>

Last edited:
I kept it because it still worked - it's a members feed. Also, members' profiles are still parented to it.

However, if you want to change it, replace the red text with the name you want:
Code:

What's the red text?

Maybe, I'm not sure. Can you provide me an example of what you'd want to do? ^^

For example if you clicked on the 'Recent Activity' tab the the options below the tab could change to...

'What's New'
'Watched Threads"
'Recent Likes/Rating'
'News Feed'

Just links that are more relevant each person's own website rather than member related links which are no longer associated with the nav button

In short, you'd need to modify the code in red in the navigation template:

Rich (BB code):
        <xen:if is="{$tabs.members}">
            <li class="navTab members {xen:if $tabs.members.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

<div class="{xen:if {$tabs.members.selected}, 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'} membersTabLinks">
                    <div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
                        <h3>{$tabs.members.title}</h3>
                        <div class="muted">{xen:phrase quick_links}</div>
                    </div>
                    <ul class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
                    <xen:hook name="navigation_tabs_members">
                        <li><a href="{xen:link members}">{xen:phrase notable_members}</a></li>
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableMemberList}"><li><a href="{xen:link members/list}">{xen:phrase registered_members}</a></li></xen:if>
                        <li><a href="{xen:link online}">{xen:phrase current_visitors}</a></li>
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li></xen:if>
                    </xen:hook>
                    </ul>
                </div>
            </li>
        </xen:if>

However, the sublinks for everything under the Members tab is the same, so you couldn't change it just for Recent Activity without further conditionals. If you need that, someone (or me when I have more time) might be able to sort out a conditional to change the links but only on the Recent Activity page.

In short, you'd need to modify the code in red in the navigation template:

Rich (BB code):
        <xen:if is="{$tabs.members}">
            <li class="navTab members {xen:if $tabs.members.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

<div class="{xen:if {$tabs.members.selected}, 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'} membersTabLinks">
                    <div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
                        <h3>{$tabs.members.title}</h3>
                        <div class="muted">{xen:phrase quick_links}</div>
                    </div>
                    <ul class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
                    <xen:hook name="navigation_tabs_members">
                        <li><a href="{xen:link members}">{xen:phrase notable_members}</a></li>
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableMemberList}"><li><a href="{xen:link members/list}">{xen:phrase registered_members}</a></li></xen:if>
                        <li><a href="{xen:link online}">{xen:phrase current_visitors}</a></li>
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li></xen:if>
                    </xen:hook>
                    </ul>
                </div>
            </li>
        </xen:if>

However, the sublinks for everything under the Members tab is the same, so you couldn't change it just for Recent Activity without further conditionals. If you need that, someone (or me when I have more time) might be able to sort out a conditional to change the links but only on the Recent Activity page.

I did it once before (with some help) for my forums tab ( I added the most popular forums under the forums tab). Would it be possible to add XenPorta category pages to that area?

Top Bottom