XF 1.4 Change language

Betclever

Hello all,

I have 2 languages "French" and I have translated some content on the second one which is parented with the first "French".

Is it possible to delete the first one and set the second one as default without loosing anything?

If I delete the first one after setting the second one as primary, can I restore it if any error?

Thanks.

So you have this setup?

-- French
---- French customized

If so, deleting "French" will remove all translations that you haven't customized in "French customized".

I assume you set it up this way so you could upgrade the French language and keep your customizations. There isn't really a way around having 2 languages then.

If you're just wanting to set the customized version as default, you can do that without changing anything.

If you're just trying to force a default, then you could do the deletion idea you suggested -- delete the old "base" language and then recreate it. (I wasn't clear that you wanted to restore it.)

@Brogan

I found what you have mentioned above but I don't have language_ID with a value like 1,2,3 or 4.
You will see what I have on my phpmyadmin under the SQL syntax => xf_user but I only can change the language ID "by user".

I have another syntax called "language ID" but see what I have in att. The default value is 10 so maybe another thing or a mistake or maybe, the value is elsewhere... ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.19.59.webp
    Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.19.59.webp
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.20.53.webp
    Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.20.53.webp
    8 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.20.13.webp
    Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 11.20.13.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
hum...

In fact, when I check "all users" to modify the Language ID to 4 (the correct one for us), I have to change each language individual. :/
This is a hard work cause the scrolling and the view are not so fast and easy to find back the correct syntax...

Any idea?

@Brogan

Please find what I have when I check "all user" and click on modify.
Therefore, I have to change 3 to 4 for each user. :/

@Mike

What's UI?
If I delete the first one, what will happens to members who are using the language number 3 then?
I don't want to loose any expression cause the language 4 has been added after the language 3.

So, if I delete the language 3, Will I loose all expressions?

Sorry guis, it's to be sure and avoid future problem so I'm asking a lot of question but this is for me super critical.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 12.27.39.webp
    Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 12.27.39.webp
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 12.27.53.webp
    Capture d’écran 2015-02-10 à 12.27.53.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 6
What's UI?
If I delete the first one, what will happens to members who are using the language number 3 then?
I don't want to loose any expression cause the language 4 has been added after the language 3.

So, if I delete the language 3, Will I loose all expressions?
I was referring to doing it in the control panel using the approach I suggested. As long as you recreate/reimport the "base" language (and reassign your customized version as a child of it), you should be fine. If you're concerned, take a backup first; at least export the 2 languages before changing anything.

@Mike

When I want to export the language, the system asks me to choose between a lot of templates... Is this normal?
Another way to export it easier?

Another idea is maybe merge both files if it's possible of course?

I don't understand what you mean by "choose between a lot of templates". There are options you need to consider when exporting a language, though most of them will be fine as the defaults.

Merging the languages is possible, but probably not what you want if you're planning on upgrading the base language at any point.

Merging is maybe the best solution cause I want to keep the language french and merge all expressions to avoid to loose anything.

Is this possible ? If yes how please?

Thanks,

PS : I found the system to export the XML file cause I have choosen "all".
What shall I do with the xml file then and shall I import the second one to the first one or the first one to the second one?

People who use the language 4 who fall automatically on the default one or shall I do something more?

Top Bottom