XF 2.2 Change "Forum List" text in title and <h1>

kolakube

This may be the king of all n00b questions but I am stuck. I am currently running XF2.2 RC2 and the <title> and <h1> both now say "Forum list" and I am unable to find the right place to change the text. I want both areas to say only say "MD community" instead.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 3.52.44 PM.webp
I went and changed the forum_list phrase but that resulted in a double label as shown here:

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 3.55.07 PM.webp

Both Board Title and Board Short title are filled in. What am I missing?

Solution
It's likely that you've changed the indexRoute option to something somewhat unexpected. On the basis that you presumably want the forum list to be the main page (as that's what your screenshots show), set it to forums/. That should resolve the issue.
This was changed in 2.2.0 Beta 6:

Below is a 'before and after' from the template forum_list if that helps?
XF2.1:
HTML:
<xf:h1>{$xf.options.boardTitle}</xf:h1>
<xf:if is="{$xf.options.forumsDefaultPage} != 'forums'">
    <xf:title>{{ phrase('forum_list') }}</xf:title>
</xf:if>

XF 2.2 (Beta 6):
HTML:
<xf:if is="{$xf.options.forumsDefaultPage} != 'forums' OR {$xf.options.indexRoute} != 'forums/'">
<xf:else />

It's likely that you've changed the indexRoute option to something somewhat unexpected. On the basis that you presumably want the forum list to be the main page (as that's what your screenshots show), set it to forums/. That should resolve the issue.

Solution
I'm having the same problem with XF 2.2. I had the Index page route set to pages/home/ with XF 2.1 to use a XF page as my homepage and changed it to forums/ and now the forum list and home page are both using the same mysite.com URL.

That resolved my issue, I had the Index Route option empty for some reason. Thank you!

Also a big congratulations to you and the team on the full release of XF2.2! From the first HYS post to now launch I have learned a lot about how a professional software company should be run and it will only make my own products better from here. Can't wait to see what's next!

This was changed in 2.2.0 Beta 6:

Below is a 'before and after' from the template forum_list if that helps?
XF2.1:
HTML:
<xf:if is="{$xf.options.forumsDefaultPage} != 'forums'">

XF 2.2 (Beta 6):
HTML:
<xf:if is="{$xf.options.forumsDefaultPage} != 'forums' OR {$xf.options.indexRoute} != 'forums/'">
<xf:else />
Good spot, but I didn't edit that template.

I'm having the same problem with XF 2.2. I had the Index page route set to pages/home/ with XF 2.1 to use a XF page as my homepage and changed it to forums/ and now the forum list and home page are both using the same mysite.com URL.
If the forum list is not the main page of the site site, this is an intentional change which makes it more consistent with other pages. You would have to customize the template if you want a different behavior.

I don't get it. (Sorry)
This is the thing I have to do if I want my index page show the name of the forum as before?
I don't like the index Title and Page title showing:
Forum List | Forumname

Doing what you say doesn't change that.

Last edited:
I don't get it. (Sorry)
This is the thing I have to do if I want my index page show the name of the forum as before?
I don't like the index Title and Page title showing:
Forum List | Forumname

Doing what you say doesn't change that.
Having the same issue...

To clarify my response, it was in the context of people who have the forum list as the entry page to the forum (when you go to the directory XF is installed in, you get the forum list). The behavior hasn't changed in that scenario, unless you set the indexRoute option to a blank value, which isn't exactly the expected case. So changing it to forums/ changes nothing but resolves this issue. (We also have a workaround for this in place in 2.2.1.)

If your index route is any other page intentionally, then the title becoming "forum list" is an intentional and expected change. It makes it consistent with every other page which is titled based on the content. If this isn't desired, you'd have to change the titles at the top of the forum_list template to suit your needs.

To clarify my response, it was in the context of people who have the forum list as the entry page to the forum (when you go to the directory XF is installed in, you get the forum list). The behavior hasn't changed in that scenario, unless you set the indexRoute option to a blank value, which isn't exactly the expected case. So changing it to forums/ changes nothing but resolves this issue. (We also have a workaround for this in place in 2.2.1.)

If your index route is any other page intentionally, then the title becoming "forum list" is an intentional and expected change. It makes it consistent with every other page which is titled based on the content. If this isn't desired, you'd have to change the titles at the top of the forum_list template to suit your needs.
So this is my case:
My indexRoute is a Blank value and my forum have the forum list as the entry page and still I'm having that behavior.
Even if I change the indexRoute to /forums that title keeps appearing.
I don't know if it is a bug because I don't see that thing happening in this community forum.

The correct/expected value there is forums/ - with the slash at the end. (This is the default value for the option.)
You are right, My bad.
But I don't want to change my forum URL to forums/
to make that thing disappear.
As I wrote, I have this:
My indexRoute is a Blank value and my forum have the forum list as the entry page and still I'm having that behavior.
Why is happening that. I understand that should not happen.

If you change the value from blank to forums/, nothing will change -- you are effectively using the "correct" value as is. What I have suggested will fix the reported issue and won't change anything else.

If you change the value from blank to forums/, nothing will change -- you are effectively using the "correct" value as is. What I have suggested will fix the reported issue and won't change anything else.
Oh god. My bad.
I'm really sorry you have to tell me the same thing like 3 times 😳😳
doing that fixes it.
Thanks, and sorry again.

Top Bottom