Implemented Change "Follow message moderation rules" phrase

Martok

I'd like to propose that it is permission phrase is changed to "Make posts without moderation".

It seems that many who are new to Xenforo are confused by the current phrase and often think that setting "Follow message moderation rules" to Allow will mean a user or group will then have their posts moderated or that setting it to Not Set(No) or Never (though we know to never use Never!) will mean their posts aren't moderated. Of course we now know it's the opposite of these.

I think that the suggested alternative would make the permission clearer.

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

I am perfectly aware of how it works. Not all of our staff members have the time to memorize such oddities.

Not lousy; just badly (VERY badly) worded.

It means (I reckon): Post without moderation in unmoderated nodes.

It's more than badly worded; it undermines the permissions system. For example, let's say I want to moderate messages from all groups except a select few in a specific forum. It's possible to do that, but it's rather hackish, and I'm willing to bet it would take most admins a while to figure out even with better wording. Hint: Don't use the moderation option for the forum.

I wish they would fix it, I never know what it means.

Or rather, I sometimes find out, but then forget and have to test the permissions. I really wish it would be more obvious and intuitive.

I've been here since the beta days and that phrase still causes me grief! Yet I can't think of any other way to put it. ;)

I wish they would fix it, I never know what it means.

Or rather, I sometimes find out, but then forget and have to test the permissions. I really wish it would be more obvious and intuitive.
You guys don't like my suggestion? I thought I had a great breakthrough. : )

Anything similar to what I suggested is fine if it makes more sense, e.g. "Follow rules of no moderation", etc. Adhering to the negative is what makes it different.

Harpers Tate also has a good wording:
It means (I reckon): Post without moderation in unmoderated nodes.

But at a deeper level I think Zenexer is correct:
It's more than badly worded; it undermines the permissions system.

Last edited:
You guys don't like my suggestion? I thought I had a great breakthrough. : )
Do you mean "follow unmoderated settings?"

I'm not quite sure what it means

I would understand something like "posts not moderated unless forum dictates otherwise"

Yeah, perhaps my phrasing would have been better with "Follow unmoderation settings". Harpers is better; mine is just shorter.

Solution:

Update the phrase "permission_general_followModerationRules" to use "Bypass moderation queue in unmoderated nodes" rather than "Follow message moderation rules."

Solved.

We've actually solved it in XF2 already. We've renamed it: "Submit content without approval".

We decided that the message should represent the common case and be as clear and explicit as possible.

Wasn't part of this proposal to make it a content permission? It seems fairly useless unless it can be applied to individual nodes.

It does appear to have been mentioned but, no, the suggestion was to change its name.

I wouldn’t agree the permission is “useless” either. It serves the purpose it was designed for which is to blanket moderate all content submitted by a member across any content type anywhere on the forum including add-ons.

If you’d like to suggest a new permission that wouldn’t be unreasonable. But bear in mind it would be a new permission specific to forums (and maybe similar ones for other groups of content permissions too).

Top Bottom