Change embedded hotlinked images to attachments

Brandon Sheley

I've seen mods for other forums that would take any images not hosted on your site, and upload them as an attachment to prevent hotlinking.
Is there a mod for xenforo that does this?

For example if a user uploaded an image to photobucket, I'd like a cron to run that would grab that image, upload it to my forum via attachments and replace the image in the post with the one hosted on my forum.

Thanks

Upvote 14
I have suggested this before.
My suggestion was to use the hotlinked image, but if that expires or is removed, then use the downloaded one.

I have suggested this before.
My suggestion was to use the hotlinked image, but if that expires or is removed, then use the downloaded one.

Unless the site hosting the image check it's logs and see's requests originating from your site, and you are the 'opposition', so they replace the image with one that denigrates your site or invites everyone to come to their site. Just saying ....... ;)

Not as clean as an XF integrated solution, but there's a few GPL image uploading scripts around that you could put on your site and tell members to use that instead?

This would be great, I have recently made a request got something similar,

Would be even better if all current images could be uploaded too

You could run into some issues if the image is copyrighted. Linking back to the original image as part of the post is generally acceptable, but downloading it for upload to your server could indeed land you in some hot water.

Usually if sites are bothered they will watermark images. Or disable right click.

Most images are taken from google images anyway

In any case is already possible to upload an image as an attachment, this just makes it easier

I've already asked someone to commission this addon, no quote yet -- but interested to hear who's up for splitting costs. Some conditions: addon is released free and open on xenforo. That's all :)

Top Bottom