CDN

Jafo

Will there be any considerations for CDNs? I had to create a product for our sites to utilize origin pull over at Softlayer and even so, found it tricky to hook in everywhere I needed too (i.e. public attachments). Will there be any thought given to this in development?

Hi,

The limit is the same for all accounts right now (we will likely tweak for paid plans in the future). The 50mb limit is per action.

Note: You can get around it by doing ftp uploads (forgot to mention that). We can't proxy ftp.

You already can. What specifically are you wanting to use it for?

To be able to host images/js easily by simply adding my CDN URL and automatically start pulling images from the cdn server instead of the local web server.
I just want an option in admincp where I can put the CDN link and be done with it.

vBOptimise & vBSEO do a good job at that over @ vB.

To be able to host images/js easily by simply adding my CDN URL and automatically start pulling images from the cdn server instead of the local web server.
At least in the case of EdgeCast, which is what we use, you can use Push (upload to CDN). It worked well for us for years... for that purpose, file changes (create, remove, modify) are automatically detected (through inotify) for a given path (including its subpaths) and synchronized with the remote CDN. This way the CDN URL is always in sync with the local file URL.

Anyone using cloudflare successfully? I've read horror stories on here and not sure it would be worth trying. Does it really improve the site experience? Or just complicate things?
Well it is quite simple.
1. You make a speedtest loading to your forum.
2. Setup CDN (cloudflare in this case).
3. Test the loading once more

And if there is a difference, here you go :)

Anyone using cloudflare successfully? I've read horror stories on here and not sure it would be worth trying. Does it really improve the site experience? Or just complicate things?

Generally shouldn't see any issues using CloudFlare. You definitely want to make sure you have something to restore original visitor IP. Some optional performance features may break some functions (editors, etc.) in the back end, so you could solve this by using PageRules to exclude urls (like the admin section).

I have been using Cloudflare for awhile now even when I was on IPB. It always works great and never really had any complaints about it. My host has it built in so it was easy to enable. Plus saves alot of bandwidth also. Been using with Xenforo with no problems either. Just my personal experience with them.

Top Bottom