Car Repairs!

iGamer

Okay, so i know this is the least place to vent about it. But this is the Off Topic area. So i figure anything goes.

Any of you ever get the feeling of getting ripped off? What i mean by this is, you are just done paying for something then it starts to break down.

So i just finished paying my car off. I am happy because i won't have a payment anymore, plus i was going to go for a year or two before i got into another car note.

So then i start having issues with it. First the A/C, now the front suspension and brakes. Mind you i babied this car all the time and had all and then some maintenance done to it all the time. Other than a few dings that someone did to it while parked, it still looks like it was driven off the dealer.

So i proceed to take it into the shop, and they call me hours later explaining what went wrong, and what needs to be done. Then the lay it to you. A whopping $600 for the front brakes, and another $1600 for the A/C. Man o man was i pissed.

Is it me, or does it feel like this is all planned into the car's computer to start breaking down?

Ohh yeah, that is why i am here too, but you got to see it a different way. At least it was only for a few hundred bucks, not thousands. lol

Did you take it to the car dealership service department or a privately owned repair shop?

Car dealerships make a lot of money from their service shops. They are fine when everything is covered under warranty, but soon as the warranty expires, time to ask around for a good repair shop that is fair.

Yes I have been over charged. The last shop I needed to use (for a specific reason needed to) shop rates were $169/hour.

This was a private repair shop. I took it there for that exact same reason. Dealerships over charge for stuff.

Sadly its trial and error when it comes to things like this. I finally found a shop locally that I'm able to call him 7 days a week on his cell phone, and he'll give me straight answers. He tells me how much it will be before I go in and when it's all done the price is right :).

I loved it when I went to get an alignment and an oil change, I told them my check engine light was on and I was pretty sure I knew what it was but gave them no permission to do anything... The freaking guys did everything else and ran it through their diagnostics machine which charges an arm and a leg to find out what's wrong. :(

Yes I have been over charged. The last shop I needed to use (for a specific reason needed to) shop rates were $169/hour.

Yeah, $169 an hour is way over kill. The sad part is even the guys that do the work don't even get half that. They only get paid by the hour.

I loved it when I went to get an alignment and an oil change, I told them my check engine light was on and I was pretty sure I knew what it was but gave them no permission to do anything... The freaking guys did everything else and ran it through their diagnostics machine which charges an arm and a leg to find out what's wrong. :(

It is good that you got someone you can trust now. Yet those are far and few in between.

LOL, yeah those lube places think they can fix it all. I swear, they need to stick to their basics.

Just got my car back from the shop. Honestly i do not know what all they did to it. Just like some folks that are computer illiterate, i am car illiterate.

The only thing i can say is that it feel like brand new. It's running perfectly. Go figure, who would have known. lol.
Glad it was an easy fix. Turned out to be some cracked hoses.

Top Bottom