1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Cant delete posts or threads

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Aberidius, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

So i just got Xenforo running on my website, i was wondering, for some reason i can't remove threads or anything, perhaps im just blind. I've set the permissions for myself to allowed on everything.

Secondly: People cant upload images. I just shows them an error message and to contact site owner.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will need to check the moderator status and permissions for your own account.

The permissions analyzer will help with that and also with regards to uploading attachments.

3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Run the Analyze Permissions tool and post the results here.

What is the error they are seeing?

4. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

In regard to the first issue, there's your problem. You don't have the ability to delete threads or posts.

Are your user groups set up the recommended way?

6. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

I managed to fix the first issue. I was in so many groups i seemed. I found that it placed me in Registered Group aswell

7. Brogan

8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That's the recommended setup. Registered should be everyone's primary user group with all the basic permissions you want all users to have. For anything you don't want them to have, be sure to use Not Set (No) rather than Never, which should never be used except in excruciating circumstances, such as for banned users. Other user groups, such as Administrative, should be secondary, with an explicit Allow on permissions you did not give to the Registered user group that you want them to have.

9. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Make sure the perms (recursive) are correct for /data and /internal_data (777 or 775 depending on how your system is configured).

11. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

12. Brogan

What is the exact error they receive when they attempt to upload an avatar or attachment to a post?

13. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

14. Tracy Perry

That is indicative that it is in a format that the server itself (not XenForo) cannot process.
    Does it occur on all images, or one specific image.
    It sounds like whomever is hosting your site has some issues on the server end.

15. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

Noone can upload profile photos but can upload Attachments without any problems.

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

When someone uploads an attachment does it generate a thumbnail?

This error implies there could be an issue with your image processing library (GD or Imagick). It could be installed but be lacking support for the necessarily file types (GIF, JPG, PNG).

17. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

Hi, no thumbnails are shown.

Note: I asked my host to install Imagick and he says he has done it.

18. Tracy Perry

In addition to the executable, you also have to install the PHP PECL's for it. Have you checked the PHP info page in your ACP tools to see if it's listed?

19. Aberidius

Aberidius Member

Hi again, i've been trying to experiment but i noticed that the server allows .gif files to be added as profile pictures but not png or jpg

20. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This would fit with your server missing support for PNG or JPG. You host may need to recompile the tools in question to support them. (They are normally supported out of the box.)