Fixed Cannot upload audio mp3

I would use that except that we would have transcoded it already, so it won't be the same file anymore.

Try attaching it again, it should work now.

When allowing uploads of audio files, we only accept the MP3 format due to compatibility -- it will play on pretty much every device and browser. To detect a valid MP3 file, we don't rely on the file extension because any user can give any file any file extension, so that could be problematic. We were using a "cheap" method of detecting whether a file actually contained any MP3 data and the method we are using, for some reason, completely fails to detect the files you uploaded as valid MP3 files.

The files you uploaded are both 100% MP3 files so we just need to find a more reliable way to detect that (which I think we have, and arguably should have just used it in the first place!).

When allowing uploads of audio files, we only accept the MP3 format due to compatibility -- it will play on pretty much every device and browser. To detect a valid MP3 file, we don't rely on the file extension because any user can give any file any file extension, so that could be problematic. We were using a "cheap" method of detecting whether a file actually contained any MP3 data and the method we are using, for some reason, completely fails to detect the files you uploaded as valid MP3 files.

The files you uploaded are both 100% MP3 files so we just need to find a more reliable way to detect that (which I think we have, and arguably should have just used it in the first place!).

That sort of makes sense, but it's odd that they upload fine here, but not on my test site.

I sort of explained that already:
I would use that except that we would have transcoded it already, so it won't be the same file anymore.
We have FFmpeg support enabled here. If a file is detected as not being a valid MP3 then we transcode it to a valid format. If you don't have FFmpeg enabled, then the file will just be rejected, as it was in your case.

Ah, that makes sense. I already asked matt about FFmpeg support and I think as I'm on a shared server it's not an option. But I agree it would be best if all mp3s were detected in this more reliable way you now have. Thanks

Not sure if it's related, but does also seem to be a bug:

If I disable my permissions to upload audio and I then attempt to upload the mp3 I get a message that the file size is too large (even though it's well within my size quota) instead of just telling me I don't have permissions to upload audio.

If you attempt to upload the problematic audio files here, now, you should find you don't see the notice about the files needing to be transcoded and they should be available immediately.

Not sure if it's related, but does also seem to be a bug:

If I disable my permissions to upload audio and I then attempt to upload the mp3 I get a message that the file size is too large (even though it's well within my size quota) instead of just telling me I don't have permissions to upload audio.
It is a bug, it should be resolved for the next release.

Top Bottom