XF 1.3 Cannot log into admin

RustyDogma

When I try to log into my admin section it just immediately kicks me back to the log-in screen - no error. This is on multiple browsers for multiple admins at different locations. I tried to run TRUNCATE xf_session_admin to no avail. Help! I'm really in trouble as I have a ton of new users who need permission changes to view the forums.

I finally got in by setting a new user as super admin, but the cache for the site is completely messed up.. none of the other admins can log in - new posts and PMs don't show up for users without hitting refresh even after clearing the browser of all cache and cookies. I tried rebuilding the cache in the admin section and that didn't change anything.

Last edited:
Disable any add-ons via config.php and see if you can log in then... especially if you have any pertaining to securing the ACP. Also, if you are using htaccess passwords to secure the ACP disable them temporarily and use a minimal config.php to test with on a base style.

Ah...this is the same issue I'm having since the morning and I'm running a completely stock version of XF.

The caching system seems to be completely jacked up.

All I did was go to sleep, wake up and the problem was there. Seems it has to be a server side issue. They cleared their caching and restarted Apache but nothing has changed.

My host was able to log in by removing the htaccess file. I used the default one from the Xenforo install and still have the same problem. I made no changes to it so I'm confuzzled.

A Small Orange
Same hosting company. I think that confirms it's a server side issue.

Holy Cow.

Here is the reply I got just a while ago from support:

Thank you for the IP. Unfortunately it didn't lead to any answers. I've completely reset the caching service on this servers.

I found your ongoing support thread with Xenforo Here is the answer to a few of their questions.

We are not using APC/xCAche We have Nginx installed as a reverse proxy for Apache. You can bypass all the server side caching by appending the URL with ?nocache=1

for example
http://www.blackreign.net/raidernation/index.php?find-new/posts/?nocache=1

However this has not changed the behavior. I even disabled all server side caching all together and was receiving the same issue. This is because the 'New Posts' status is being cached by the browser. If you open the site using 'Private' or 'Incognito' mode you should notice that this issue is not happening at all. We have not made any recent changes or upgrades to the server recently that would effect this.

Could you provide this information to the Xenforo support and see what they have to say on the subject and see if they have any suggestions.

@Brogan @Tracy Perry ... any ideas how I should proceed with the hosting company. Here are two users experiencing the exact same problem with the same hosting company. Any idea would be most helpful.

This is what I got from ASO.. they are trying to help, but don't know what's going on.
It is a strange issue, because if you access the URL directly, you can get into the adminCP. For example, try accessing the following url directly, after you have logged in. You should be able to navigate around the admin area, and make changes:
http://dominionoffensive.ws/admin.php?nodes/

If actually looks like only http://dominionoffensive.ws/admin.php?options/ is not working. I can access anything else (at least that I have tried).

Would you mind updating your support ticket with Xenforo with this information, to see if they have any ideas? I have checked the database, and don't see any errors in it.

This is what I got from ASO.. they are trying to help, but don't know what's going on.
I've asked the tech to see if he can elevate this issue to a higher level and maybe the two of them can put their heads together and find the problem and a solution. Exact same problem. Exact same hosting company and I bet it happened at the same time...like last night! My site was working perfectly until I woke up this morning. That will teach me to get out of bed.

Yep...has to be their issue.

They'll have to figure this out! Hopefully soon. I sent them a link to this thread too so they know it's not "my computer", "my browser"... ugh. Lots of my users are experiencing the exact same problem with the marking/caching system.

I got final response and my site is fixed.. posting it here in case anyone ever has the same problem, they see this solution.

We had adjusted some settings regarding the way that data is cached on the browser side. I noticed that when I logged in, the login page just reloaded, but I was actually logged in (and likewise, clicking logout while logged in caused me to still be on the admin area page) - clearing my browser cache and then reloading would load the admin area. Then I went over the changes related to browser side caching in yesterday's update and found that we were essentially instructing the browser (via http headers) to cache data too heavily in such a way that caused this issue. We've rolled back that part of the configuration, so this should be all set for you, and for everyone, over the course of the next 24 hours.

Had the same issue just now. this thread helped me to manage a problem in 5 minutes, one that I otherwise had no idea where to even begin with.
hahha, thanks XF Comm :D

Top Bottom