Cancel Culture

frm

Are you a publicly known person that owns a forum and has been "canceled" because of your political beliefs? I hope not, for your sake. The tensions are high...

Just want to smack my head right now. It's well-known who I personally politically back as I post support for them on FB (not going to get into politics) and now I have people running around saying things that are untrue about me (and my wife/kid at that!) and what my forum represents, trying to get as many users to stop using the forum by stating as much as they know where my generated income goes (to candidate and Party donations).

I know they don't understand business whatsoever as I operate my forum as a separate entity with its own beliefs: It is truly non-partisan and a platform (no censorship unless obliviously illegal content, but I do move non-FCC compliant posts into a hidden forum so the topic can continue but it's not accessible by search engines). However, these individuals don't get that. It's a headache at the moment, but, luckily it doesn't affect much income as income is driven mainly from organic search (the social was nice as it sometimes instantly paid for content with as many likes/followers, which did go down after a little boycott today [which may continue on], but it will always organically pay).

I think I have to keep my other forums private and not use my garnered social influence for them to grow that's connected to me personally now. :cautious:

/rant

"In 1966 Robert F. Kennedy delivered a speech that included an instance: There is a Chinese curse which says “May he live in interesting times.” Like it or not, we live in interesting times. They are times of danger and uncertainty; but they are also the most creative of any time in the history of mankind."

If possible, I think our times have become that much more "interesting".

Just want to smack my head right now. It's well-known who I personally politically back as I post support for them on FB (not going to get into politics) and now I have people running around saying things that are untrue about me (and my wife/kid at that!) and what my forum represents, trying to get as many users to stop using the forum by stating as much as they know where my generated income goes (to candidate and Party donations).

That's the way of the Internet in 2020. Unfortunately. Everyone is so bitter, hostile, hate-filled and divided--all it takes is one trigger and they automatically lump you in with an entire political or ideological view without even knowing anything about you.

I got that myself in a post I made on one of the forums I visit. Made a comment, and the knee-jerk reaction was, "Well, we can tell who you voted for." Uh, no...I didn't. That's what we're dealing with these days. It's nobody else's business what we do in our private lives or with our money, but the mindset in today's Internet is that "Oh yes, it is our business what you do. And the rest of the Internet needs to know about you, and what you do."

And I blame social media for every bit of it. Especially trial by social media. Which is almost what you're describing here. You did "A." Therefore you're also guilty of "B," "C," "D," "E," etc.

guilty of "B," "C," "D," "E," etc.
Exactly. And it's also like, "You know nothing about me to make those assumptions. Our business mission and vision statements are easily accessible, giving a glimpse of our social responsibility and what we've executed thus far to every visitor, which is far from being politically driven. This alone proves beyond a shadow of a doubt with what we've done as a separate entity cannot be connected to me personally, even if:"
[I] did "A."
But... it's a new world now.
[T]he Internet in 2020

That's the problem with people today. Everyone is so in love with their own bulls**** and the smell of it that how dare you have different beliefs than them! Freedom of speech is perfectly fine, so long as your beliefs align with mine! If not, CANCELLED!

It's utterly stupid and shows the mentality of a lot of people and their sense of self-righteousness and entitlement.

That's the problem with people today. Everyone is so in love with their own bulls**** and the smell of it that how dare you have different beliefs than them! Freedom of speech is perfectly fine, so long as your beliefs align with mine! If not, CANCELLED!

It's utterly stupid and shows the mentality of a lot of people and their sense of self-righteousness and entitlement.
Much of it is due to the rise of 24/7 "news" and social media. You can create a filter bubble/echo chamber/reality where only information that feeds your world view exists, and anything that doesn't feed your world view doesn't exist. It's why you see people unable to compromise anymore, because they have been told their whole lives now that they don't have to.

Frankly if you are outspoken publicly about your political belief, regardless left or eight, I would suggest to get a co-founder that is opposite from you if you want to make a neutral forum.

Frankly if you are outspoken publicly about your political belief, regardless left or eight, I would suggest to get a co-founder that is opposite from you if you want to make a neutral forum.
I can't go completely opposite because there are some beliefs that I just can't compromise on and definitely don't want them around me nor my inner circle. I do have a right-leaning and left-leaning moderate with me though so it's a lot more balanced than just myself. I open myself up to scrutiny as one should never fear to voice their opinion as when you stop voicing your opinion, you ultimately lose it.

Top Bottom