Can you import from a dead SMF forum?

Mike Krall

I'm about to purchase xenforo. I'm also am switching website hosts.

So my question is to import my SMF database, avatars, passwords, etc can this be done from an archive on my harddrive or does it need to come from an existing live forum?

Thanks!

Thanks Brogan.

I wasn't sure how the importer actually worked and whether it could fetch files 'offline' or not.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at with "offline." If you install XenForo onto a server, you can't point the converter at your local hard drive

The SMF forum doesn't have to be functional but you will have to mount the SMF database into a SQL instance that the XenForo converter can talk to, and publish the attachments/avatars/etc. to a file path that the XenForo converter can see.

The easiest way is to just temporarily upload the SMF database & files onto your XenForo server and point the converter at those paths. Once the conversion is done, you can delete all the SMF source data.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at with "offline." If you install XenForo onto a server, you can't point the converter at your local hard drive

The SMF forum doesn't have to be functional but you will have to mount the SMF database into a SQL instance that the XenForo converter can talk to, and publish the attachments/avatars/etc. to a file path that the XenForo converter can see.

The easiest way is to just temporarily upload the SMF database & files onto your XenForo server and point the converter at those paths. Once the conversion is done, you can delete all the SMF source data.

Offline = my hard drive. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, so upload all the SMF files and folders and import the SMF database into an SQL container.

Thanks.

Top Bottom