1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you import from a dead SMF forum?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Mike Krall, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Mike Krall

Mike Krall Member

I'm about to purchase xenforo. I'm also am switching website hosts.

So my question is to import my SMF database, avatars, passwords, etc can this be done from an archive on my harddrive or does it need to come from an existing live forum?

2. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

You can do it like that. You will need to import the database to the new server to do the import.
    Mike Krall likes this.
  3. Mike Krall

Mike Krall Member

Ok thanks for the help :)
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As long as the XF importer can access the database and attachments/avatars folders, that's all that's required.

You don't even need to have the source software installed.
    Mike Krall likes this.
  5. Mike Krall

Mike Krall Member

Thanks Brogan.

I wasn't sure how the importer actually worked and whether it could fetch files 'offline' or not.
  6. Ridemonkey

Ridemonkey Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what you're getting at with "offline." If you install XenForo onto a server, you can't point the converter at your local hard drive

The SMF forum doesn't have to be functional but you will have to mount the SMF database into a SQL instance that the XenForo converter can talk to, and publish the attachments/avatars/etc. to a file path that the XenForo converter can see.

The easiest way is to just temporarily upload the SMF database & files onto your XenForo server and point the converter at those paths. Once the conversion is done, you can delete all the SMF source data.
  7. Mike Krall

Mike Krall Member

Offline = my hard drive. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, so upload all the SMF files and folders and import the SMF database into an SQL container.

Ridemonkey likes this.