XF 1.2 Can you add a Youtube link...

Sola

...without embedding it?

For instance, embedding is disabled for certain videos on the Tube. It would make sense to simply add these as links to the relevant page. When I try to use the link option, the system converts the link into an embedded media one.

Is this as designed? Should it remain so?

Automatic embedding can be disabled in the ACP.
Why would you want to disable automatic embedding site-wide when non-embeddable video files are random and not necessarily overwhelming? Wouldn't it be better to be able to disable embedding per post/while posting/editing a non-embed?

just click the link button and paste the link in there

Youtube link

To automatically add the ability to create a link or an embed based on the video adds overhead to the bbcode for what is basically no reason.

Since you can enable and disable embedding from youtube...something that once could be embedded might not be tomorrow and the reverse is also true...to make this work, one would have to scrape data every time a page loads to check if the video can be embedded or not and then parse it so that it displays the appropriate data. I could do it with a custom version of this bbcode but it really isn't even worth the effort because of the overhead it adds.

just click the link button and paste the link in there

Youtube link
That works here. It fails in my beta 3. Maybe some things changed in the updates or automatic embedding is turned off here.
To automatically add the ability to create a link or an embed based on the video adds overhead to the bbcode for what is basically no reason.

Since you can enable and disable embedding from youtube...something that once could be embedded might not be tomorrow and the reverse is also true...to make this work, one would have to scrape data every time a page loads to check if the video can be embedded or not and then parse it so that it displays the appropriate data. I could do it with a custom version of this bbcode but it really isn't even worth the effort because of the overhead it adds.
Your explanation is clarity itself. Thanks for taking the time.

Top Bottom