Can we have a xf 2.1 category in the resources please ?

tafreehm

I know that it is not a major release, but since many plugins and themes from xf 2.0 are not compatible with xf 2.1 don't you think there should be a way to separate them in the resources page ?

Right now, I have to open every single resource to see if author has marked it compatible with xf 2.1 or not.

This is not necessary as it was not necessary with the 1.x series, and already has been said it is not going to happen,

Simple, check the overview page.
Yeah, but that means having to click each Add-on - a filter would be nice :)

I do kind of agree with the sentiment of this, because there's a lot of 2.0 add ons that don't work or need updating to 2.1. And some devs are now releasing two version of their add ons, one for 2.0 and one for 2.1, which can get a bit confusing.

For example with Xon's Content ratings, there was a period of time where people were trying to install the 2.0 version on 2.1 and it was causing issues because it hadn't been updated yet, but people were downloading and installing it anyway.

There is a large & read "Does not work with XF 2.1" on the product overview, XF2.1 is not listed as supported, and the original v1.3.0 update mentioned that this is a prep-update.

Currently this add-on is completely untested with XF2.1, and I don't expect it will work. v1.3.0 is simply the first step to getting the codebase into shape so it can be rebased onto XF2.1

Then you have devs like Jaxel who are releasing two version of their add ons, one for 2.0 and one for 2.1 which gets confusing. Is it possible and best practice to have both version rolled into one?

I received the update link today, offering two versions
I assume 2.0.x.x will work with XF 2.0 and 2.1.x.x. will work with XF2.1 ?
View attachment 193074

Then it seems that some devs say you should to upgrade your add on before you upgrade XF, and I think some say you should do it the other way around. There's does seem to be a bit of inconsistency in the handling of the transition from 2.0 to 2.1 across the board.

I do get that you don't really want duplicates of the same add on in two different categories and two support threads though if you can help it.

I do kind of agree with the sentiment of this, because there's a lot of 2.0 add ons that don't work or need updating to 2.1. And some devs are now releasing two version of their add ons, one for 2.0 and one for 2.1, which can get a bit confusing.

For example with Xon's Content ratings, there was a period of time where people were trying to install the 2.0 version on 2.1 and it was causing issues because it hadn't been updated yet, but people were downloading and installing it anyway.

Then you have devs like Jaxel who are releasing two version of their add ons, one for 2.0 and one for 2.1 which gets confusing. Is it possible and best practice to have both version rolled into one?

Then it seems that some devs say you should to upgrade your add on before you upgrade XF, and I think some say you should do it the other way around. There's does seem to be a bit of inconsistency in the handling of the transition from 2.0 to 2.1 across the board.

I do get that you don't really want duplicates of the same add on in two different categories and two support threads though if you can help it.

Sounds to me like additional resource standards are in order rather than a different section.

And some devs are now releasing two version of their add ons, one for 2.0 and one for 2.1, which can get a bit confusing.
Just to be clear, XenForo itself is no longer going to be releasing any further 2.0 versions of anything (except security updates if needed) so really add-on developers shouldn't be attempting to maintain multiple branches either.

If indeed it is necessary to.

Most add-ons should only require minor tweaks. For the most part, any add-on that works with XF 2.0 right now should also work with XF 2.1. There will be some exceptions, naturally, just like there was with XF 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2 and 1.1 before it, but they will be in the minority.

Might be worth considering getting important info like the manual, dev docs and help pages in an easier to find part of the navigation, now that everyone is going to start upgrading.

We've coped ok so far. We do have a lot of customers who have upgraded already, of course. Plus the process is mostly the same as it was, again, for 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1...

Just to be clear, XenForo itself is no longer going to be releasing any further 2.0 versions of anything (except security updates if needed) so really add-on developers shouldn't be attempting to maintain multiple branches either.
@Chris D

Are you recommending we drop support for 2.0.x where it is needed?

I'm asking because there are going to be people that will be slow to upgrade and leaving them out in the cold might not be a good idea.

Top Bottom