Can someone claim your site?

vishall

Good day all,

My question is, can someone claim your website?

Look at it in this way, your website "www.yourwebsite.com", if some one register a legal name "yourwebsite"
does that give them the right to own it?

I have a legal registered sole proprietorship business but it's different from my domain name, i does use my domain name as a trade name for my legal name, can some still get it even though i have a copyright footer "copyright my business name" ?

Regards,
Vishall

domain name registered vs business name registered in the US.

Yes and No, If they wanted to domain name they would have to go for a wipo or UDRP in front of the ICANN group.

it really depends if who registered first. The domain name or the company. Also depends on if the registered business owner wants to pay some cash to get the domain name.

If you get anything in the mail or need and domain name advice. let me know and I will point you in the right direction to keep your domain name.

Well the great news is my domain was registered first and then a year later someone registered a business name with my domain name.
Thanks for the response though :) , i'd PC you my email now :)

Then unless they are really wanting your domain name they are not in a fighting chance really, they will loose some real cash and dont let anyone push your around. :)

Offer it to them for 5x the website value, with a condition that it must redirect to your new address for 365 days prior to them using it.

That's actually pretty reasonable and if they really do want it, will be happy to accept these terms.

Offer it to them for 5x the website value, with a condition that it must redirect to your new address for 365 days prior to them using it.

That's actually pretty reasonable and if they really do want it, will be happy to accept these terms.

How do you assign value to your website?

How do you assign value to your website?
How long's a piece of string? :)

Generally if you sell websites you start at 10-12x the monthly income. Then go from there.

You might have extra value if you have a good domain name (e.g my-long-domain.com is worth nothing, but oursite.com may be worth thousands). You can also use the value of anything included to increase the price (e.g if you paid for a design, you could add that on as an asset).

There's no sure way of valuing a website, you have to look at it logically to work out how much it's worth to you.

Oh and don't use crappy tools like estibot ;)

if it comes to this, i want nothing less than 20k :D

if it comes to this, i want nothing less than 20k :D
Do it :) I had this happen a few years ago. I owned a hosting related domain and the site had only just opened and didn't have much content.

I'd spent maybe 5 hours on the site in total.

A well known VPS hosting provider came along and wanted it for the domain as they were about to launch a control panel that apparently had the same name.

They offered me $50 for it, I replied telling them no, and not to contact me until they were willing to offer a fair price.

A few emails exchanged back and fourth, them asking how much I wanted for it, and I basically said $2k. They outright refused, and offered $200. I then replied saying it would be my last email, and that $1k was my final offer.

So I got $1k for it, and I'd only owned the domain about 3 weeks. A nice return on a $8.99 expense :)

So if they ask - offer it to them for $40k and go from there :P

Top Bottom