Cannot reproduce Can no longer choose a reaction on ios

I'm on iOS 14.whatever the latest is but I can't say I noticed an issue in earlier versions either to be honest.

I’m getting the same as Pete is.

Attachments

• F1F27A5F-A65C-4473-9841-B85FA8065F60.webp
    F1F27A5F-A65C-4473-9841-B85FA8065F60.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 20
Yeah forgot to post. Marked it as confirmed earlier as I was able to repro the context menu. I think there's a few things that can be a factor including how long you press and hold for.

I don't think I really have much of a choice other than to close this.

I'm not sure if things have changed in recent iOS versions but I'm only able to reproduce the context menu popping over the reactions if I do particularly weird things, namely doing a long tap and hold until the "Like" text is selected, and then adjusting the selection.

As noted, if it does pop up, you can hit "Copy" to get rid of it but it doesn't seem easy to get it to pop up now. For the most part it seems to work fine.

Let us know if it is still problematic, particularly on iOS 15 and we'll take another look.

I don't think I really have much of a choice other than to close this.

I'm not sure if things have changed in recent iOS versions but I'm only able to reproduce the context menu popping over the reactions if I do particularly weird things, namely doing a long tap and hold until the "Like" text is selected, and then adjusting the selection.

As noted, if it does pop up, you can hit "Copy" to get rid of it but it doesn't seem easy to get it to pop up now. For the most part it seems to work fine.

Let us know if it is still problematic, particularly on iOS 15 and we'll take another look.
It’s a very fine line between the amount of time it takes between the menu itself opening and the context menu being presented. I wouldn’t particularly class the amount of time taken for the context menu to open a long press.

So you get a context menu now? You seemingly couldn’t before and I can’t reproduce that anymore regardless of how long I press for.

So you get a context menu now? You seemingly couldn’t before and I can’t reproduce that anymore regardless of how long I press for.
Ah, apologies Chris, it's not the context menu, it's just the "like" phrase being highlighted. You need to press the highlighted section again to get the full context menu.

That's cool. I would prefer it not to highlight the text but that has seemingly been problematic,

The typical way to handle this in iOS is to use -webkit-user-select: none which dictates that text shouldn't be selectable but unfortunately it introduces other quirks.

In one attempt it just causes the adjacent empty space to be selected:

IMG_2914.webp

If you add that to more elements, iOS just goes completely rogue and starts doing unfathomably stupid things. To be clear, the checkbox and part of the rich text editor (?) being highlighted here is as a result of me pressing and holding on the Like button 🤷‍♂️🤪

IMG_2915.webp

So we'll have to live with it. As long as the context menu isn't covering the controls automatically I think we'll have to call that acceptable.

Yes, I just updated to 15.1.1. and is now better (fixed?)

Before as @MattW mentioned in order to not get the context menu obscuring the reactions menu, you had to time it just right and not hold too long (it was indeed a very short window)

14.x

• Quick tap = just a like
  • Very short hold = reactions menu
  • Longer hold = reactions menu obscured by context menu.

• Quick tap = just a like
  • Hold = reactions menu (but the Like text is highlighted)
  • Finger off and hold again while it's stoill show= context menu.

I think that's the same as what matt said.

I would prefer it not to highlight the text
Yes, if are just wanting to choose a recation other than like, then it is not necessary to have the highlight. But if you want the contextual menu then presumable something has to be selected first. So then you can copy and paste the word like somewhere else (not sure why you would want to in this case)

Top Bottom