XF 2.2 Can i set a secondary group for new registrations?

gavpeds

Hi I was wandering if is was possible to add new registrations to a secondary group. What I want to do is moderate new users first two posts to minimise spam before it even gets on the forum. Then once they have got two approved posts are removed from that secondary group and just have registered group. Is this possible or an easier way of doing it?

Having a secondary group at registration is not the way to achieve what you want.

You don’t need a secondary group to start with, just make the primary registered group need moderating.

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.21.35.png

Then have a promotion to add a secondary group after two posts:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.22.22.png

That secondary group has just that one permission set to yes which allows posting without moderation:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.19.49.png

Because the Yes of the secondary group overrides the No of the primary registered group as you can see here in Analyse permissions:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.27.09.png

ie you do it the other way round to what you suggested, add a secondary group to achieve it, not remove it.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how to add secondary group upon registration as well.

We created a separate usergroup (lets call it UG1) for members with less than 100 messages and it has its own user banner. After reaching 100 messages user will be promoted to another usergroup with different banner and he will be demoted from UG1 so its banner wont show anymore,

We created a separate usergroup (lets call it UG1) for members with less than 100 messages and it has its own user banner. After reaching 100 messages user will be promoted to another usergroup with different banner and he will be demoted from UG1 so its banner wont show anymore,
That is already possible.

Create a promotion to add to the <100 messages user group and set the criteria to include 'User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups' and select the >100 messages user group.

We have a promotion setup to add new members to a new member group with fewer permissions (permissions are set to never) than the Registered group. We're using the following criteria:
  • User has posted no more than X messages
  • User has been registered for no more than X days
We want both of these to be met before a member is removed from this limited group, but they're being removed after meeting only one of them.
Is there a way to make this work?
If not, would this be the correct way to set it up? Limit the Registered group, create a group with the normal member permissions, add all existing members to it, then setup the promotion to promote new members using:
  • User has posted at least X messages
  • User has been registered for at least X day
I was hoping to avoid adding all normal members to an additional group, but if that's the only way to do this, that's what we'll have to do.

Top Bottom