Require Connected Account for New Registrations (Yes, No, Maybe?)

BGreen965

I'd like a way to better verify a user is a real person. I think connected accounts is a great way to do this, with the primary goal to reduce spam and fake registrations. If I support FB, Google, and Microsoft that should cover just about anyone.

My first thought: Make non-connected accounts require moderator approval. So instead of the registration page including the default registration form, it would only have the connected accounts options, followed by a small link to "Sign up with an email address" that would lead to the sign up form with a big message that moderator approval is required or an option to sign up instantly with a connected account.

My other thought: Just force a connected account and forgo manual approvals.

I'm curious on your thoughts on handling real people vs spammers. My site is small-medium sized and doesn't have moderators online all the time to catch spam. I would rather be on the proactive side than the clean up side. I also want to make the sign up process as easy as possible, and connected accounts honestly is faster than doing an email verification.

I don't think this functionality exists currently in 2.0, but I may consider putting a developer on it as an add on. What do you guys think?

Would be a huge no from my side. Or, if I really would want to enter your forum, I'd just create a spam account @gmail and link that.

Top Bottom