Can I disable the Resource Manager without losing access to the attachments?

Amin Sabet

I installed the Resource Manager (RM) on all my sites but no one seems to be using it, and it's keeping people from discovering stuff they would have found in discussion threads. I had converted a bunch of threads to resources but subsequently decided to convert them back to threads using this process:

1) Copied contents of resource to the first post of the accompanying discussion thread
2) Deleted resource
3) Edited title of discussion thread to remove "[DELETED]"
4) Opened thread
5) Deleted last post of thread saying that resource had been deleted

That worked fine because none of my resources had downloads. However, they all had image attachments. Once I disabled the RM, the image attachments stopped showing in those threads.

Enabling the RM brings back the images in those threads, and I can use permissions to hide the RM from members, but I'd prefer to uninstall the RM altogether (stop paying for updates, etc) if I can do so without breaking those images.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Amin

@Chris D - Is this an issue with attachment permissions, and if so, is there a way to enable view permissions for all attachments globally (including RM attachments) while disabling the RM? I don't have any attachments that I want to hide from any user group.

It's not really an issue with attachment permissions -- it's how the system is designed. Attachments belong to content and if that content isn't viewable (in this case, by virtue of being part of a disabled add-on), then the attachment won't be viewable.

If you wanted to completely remove permission checks, it'd probably need custom development or an add-on.

One last question - if I leave the RM enabled but disable everyone's permissions to view resources (so they don't see the tab, menu item, etc), can I somehow make them able to see the attachments?

Top Bottom