Can anyone advise on SSL certificates

Can anyone advise me on setting up an SSL certificate on my hosts server. Not sure exactly what to do. I am with Godaddy, my domain has been transferred and now I'm being prompted to set up an SSL cert.

I'm really just needing some info as to what I am liable to be asked for by way of information etc.

Appreciate it if anyone can guide me

Thanks

Tom

Your domain and hosting is with godaddy or just the domain?

If you aren't running your own server and your host doesn't support letsencrypt then you will probably end up spending a few bucks on a certificate.

Can anyone advise me on setting up an SSL certificate on my hosts server. Not sure exactly what to do. I am with Godaddy, my domain has been transferred and now I'm being prompted to set up an SSL cert.
Which hosting control panel are you using on Godaddy? cPanel, Plesk or Directadmin?
If you are using cPanel, then it is easy to setup a free SSL for your website
Install Cloudflare SSL then reading this: How to install an Origin CA certificate in cPanel
Install Letsencrypt then reading this: Installing Free SSL for Server Hostname Using Letsencrypt

Hope it helps!

I'm really just needing some info as to what I am liable to be asked for by way of information etc.

Appreciate it if anyone can guide me

Thanks

Tom
Godaddy always prompt for somethinh to buy when you login.

Purpose of using ssl.
Your forum users will feel a secure environment by looking at green https instead of http.

Google is also going to accept only https site for indexing (lot of places it is written)

If you have payment setup at your site, peoples in general wont like to go through http site.

There are free ssl too available, like letsencrypt.

You can ask them to install letsencrypt, some hosting company provide this ssl as a complimentary service.

Either to use or not its your call, but ssl makes safe connections to server

I went through go daddy last night. I have a they provide my server / hosting. They tell me that I need my website set up on the server before I can set up the SSL cert.

So, intend taking a copy of my website over to facilitate this. The reason it's a copy is because I'm not quite ready to migrate the live site until I have went through a software change from UltraBB to Xenforo which I am busy trying to get ready for.

First time I've done this so its all Greek to me. Trying to do things in the right order. It is CPanel that I'll be using.

I'm also not sure if I could take my forum on its oils software into my Godaddy server, then import my Xenforo software and do the change over on my Godaddy server. Would it allow this ?

Again, many thanks for your responses / advice. Much appreciated.

Cheers

I'm also not sure if I could take my forum on its oils software into my Godaddy server, then import my Xenforo software and do the change over on my Godaddy server. Would it allow this ?

Just do it in steps. Move the old forum to GoDaddy first and make sure it's working properly on GoDaddy. Then do the upgrade from old software to XenForo. Then ask GoDaddy to provide you SSL.

Thanks Andy,

As I suspected. I will do a trial run with a backup copy before taking an outage and moving the live forum. My old host runs out on the 5th December so I started the process early enough.

Cheers

Tom.

Actually, you don't need any more than the domain active and a simple HTML landing page at this point to set the SSL up. That process is not dependent upon any particular script being ran - only on the domain being active and reachable on their server.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I think my lack of knowledge and experience on these things lets me down badly. I'm having issues trying to get switched over but step by step I'll get there I hope before the drop dead date for my current host expiry date or I'll run the risk of meltdown. Ha ha.

We ( my more I T mate and I ) are currently looking at taking a back up of my existing forum and doing a dummy run in transferring it to his server but are hitting a bit of a stumbling block. He can explain things better than I can.

Anyway, once that has been accomplished, we'll look at doing the same to my hosting server then once confident, take an outage and transfer the live forum.

Oh boy ......... Could be fun.

Cheers

Tom.

Top Bottom