RM 1.0 Can a resource be a company?

John L.

This may be a silly question, or maybe the Resource Manager is extendable enough that this can be developed as an addon to it. But, is it possible for "Resources" to be companies? Some may get what I'm trying to do here. I'm trying to see if this can actually work as a review system with a little tweaks here and there. I believe the basics are there, but I just need to know the following:
  • Can the phrase "Resources" be changed to "Companies"?
  • Can you add multiple rating criteria? (Service, Support, Quality, etc.)
  • Can the tabs within a resource be developed to show custom content? As opposed to being "Updates" and "Discussion", can it be "Coupons"?
  • Can you set "Resources" so that they must be approved by an admin before being made active? I figure you absolutely can, but thought I would ask regardless.
  • Can you associate multiple users to a single resource? For instance you want to have more than 1 person update it on occasion.
  • Can users with editing permissions to a resource respond to reviews? Just realized you can already do this :).
  • Can you remove the "upload" option altogether and simply have it be a URL specified by the user? Can those URLs then be tracked to see the number of outgoing traffic?
Sorry for the flurry of questions, but rather than create a review system from scratch if the "Resources Manager" can simply be extended to do what we want then that would be a huge time-saver for us. Thanks guys!

that is a nice idea and also great suggestions you are making! :)

I would like to run the "Resource Manager" like a "Company Directory", so each "Resource" would be a company. And have those companies categorized into several Industry-related categories. I would like to use the RM somehow as a compay-directory involving a Forum-discussion.

I have a collection of several thousand URL's for specific companies and would like to categorize those URL's somehow.

So it would be a Company Directory whereby the "Resource Description" would be a description of what kind of products and services the company is offering and it could add also some pictures or videos.

Then at the "Resource Discussion" it would be for discussing about the company, whereby the "Resource Author" (the company) has the ability to administer comments within the "Discussion".

So if the company wants you to "Download" some "Product Data Sheet" or for example an "Annual Report", etc. then fine.

Company-Review is already build-in into the RM. Some extended Multiple Rating criteria might be nice as well.

It would definitely require to also have "Prefixes" for each "Resource", in this case a "Prefix" for each company.

Above all, I would like to have the RM to be my Homepage and have the Forum-discussions for each company nested in the "Resource Discussion" (which is already the functionality of the RM if I understand correctly).

If that would be possible, I would immediately buy the RM...... if it was available :barefoot:

Everything here can be done obviously.

1. When the resource manager is released, their will be a phrase and the text will be "Resource Manager (Or what ever the the navtab title will be called). You just have to change it to companies. I am not going to into details on how to do that, but when it is released just PM me and I will show you.
2. I MIGHT be able to do this, not sure. Contact me when it is released, and I will try. Or can a well known resource author.
3. With custom template work. I will probably be able to do this. Contact me when it is released. Or you can contact a well known resource author.
4. I don't know how to do this. Or you can contact a well known resource author.h
5. It can be done. I don't know how to do this. Contact one of the well known resource authors.
6. Well, there is the paid option. If your willing to remove the paid option, you can rename the phrase for "Buy Now For X", and other associated phrases. If you don't want to remove the paid option, I might be able to get this done. Contact me when it is released. Or you can contact a well known resource author.

Everything here can be done obviously.

1. When the resource manager is released, their will be a phrase and the text will be "Resource Manager (Or what ever the the navtab title will be called). You just have to change it to companies. I am not going to into details on how to do that, but when it is released just PM me and I will show you.
2. I MIGHT be able to do this, not sure. Contact me when it is released, and I will try. Or can a well known resource author.
3. With custom template work. I will probably be able to do this. Contact me when it is released. Or you can contact a well known resource author.
4. I don't know how to do this. Or you can contact a well known resource author.h
5. It can be done. I don't know how to do this. Contact one of the well known resource authors.
6. Well, there is the paid option. If your willing to remove the paid option, you can rename the phrase for "Buy Now For X", and other associated phrases. If you don't want to remove the paid option, I might be able to get this done. Contact me when it is released. Or you can contact a well known resource author.
We can do a lot of the development required to make this into a review system. That is not the issue. My questions are really to K&M to see what may already reside within the Resources Manager and what would require additional development work. But, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I can also think of the "Resource Manager" as to be a great thing to have the Yahoo-Stock-Feeds integrated into the RM.
So literally each stock would be a "Resource", whereby it would be also possible to upload "Annual Reports" or "Financial Reports" for a company and also users could discuss a stock or a company via the "Resource Discussion" for each "Resource" (stock or company).

I am looking forward to the release of the RM soon.

I hope the delay in RM release would mean that some enhancements are developed. Since we can only install one RM on XF, I'm looking at extensions of the RM so that it can be used as a review system (primary goal) as well as job listing, resources download. The various uses can be divided by category.

You can't have a delayed release, when there has never been a release day set.
Andy.N has been talking RM release for so long, what has been forgotten was a release timeframe was never ever set.
It could be years before it is released.

You can't have a delayed release, when there has never been a release day set.
Andy.N has been talking RM release for so long, what has been forgotten was a release timeframe was never ever set.
It could be years before it is released.
This has nothing to do with my request, please don't post if you're not going to contribute to original post. At least his post was related to my request.

This has nothing to do with my request, please don't post if you're not going to contribute to original post. At least his post was related to my request.
Here are some of my earlier requests as pertain to the RM being a review system
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestions-to-make-the-rm-more-extendable-to-other-uses.26748/
as well as being able to review anonymously (per user choice or per category)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/requiring-review-to-rate-anonymous-reviews.27670/

I think these are excellent ideas. A review system is definitely needed for XF, and something I need urgently.

I've found this add-on though ([SurreyForum] XenKingDir), which is going to have a scoring/rating feature added in the next(?) release. That may be a better option for some, like me, who don't have the patience to wait very long.

Top Bottom