Calling all computer geeks -

Peggy

Does anyone have ANY clue at all, as to how I can block my sons' access to YouTube? I have wasted money on three different parental control software - He hacks through them. Norton has a feature to block certain websites. He hacked through it.

Short of completely yanking his internet access, what can I do? Isn't there a hack-proof site-blocking software out there??

Note: as most of you know, he's an 11 yr old with Asperger Syndrome (a form of Autism), and practically a computer genius.

Wow now there's a novel idea. ;)
Trust me, I've been down that route. Fact is, he needs internet access for his online tutoring sessions outside of school.

Does anyone have ANY clue at all, as to how I can block my sons' access to YouTube? I have wasted money on three different parental control software - He hacks through them. Norton has a feature to block certain websites. He hacked through it.

Short of completely yanking his internet access, what can I do? Isn't there a hack-proof site-blocking software out there??

Note: as most of you know, he's an 11 yr old with Asperger Syndrome (a form of Autism), and practically a computer genius.
Take away the power cable to computer. That should do it.

There are plenty of anonmizer / proxy web sites so there is no sure fire way to block a website or content.

Try and divert his curiosity/intuitiveness/ingenuity toward more constructive applications. Try and interest him in setting up his own website or something that you think he would find interest in. Foster that intellect and soon he will leave youtube behind.

I still think you may have luck with editing the hosts file. Then hide it and set read only access to it. (attrib hosts +r +h). Type 'attrib /?' at the cmd prompt for more help on syntax.

Occam's razor - Sometimes the most simple solutions are the most difficult to figure out. We're using all technical methods and no doubt he'll figure it out in time. Sometimes something very simple might work. Maybe something as simple as disabling all javascript? :p

Occam's razor - Sometimes the most simple solutions are the most difficult to figure out. We're using all technical methods and no doubt he'll figure it out in time. Sometimes something very simple might work. Maybe something as simple as disabling all javascript? :p

But youtube gives error you need to enable Javascript and he is clever enough to look for solution in google :)

Peggy you can set an access policy if your router allows for it in the admin panel for your router. You can set times of allowed access, bandwidth allocation, and varying options based on the brand/model of router you have.

If he is wirelessly connected to your router...you can disable wireless access to the admin management console.

Set a good router password and change the login name if you can remember a good one without writing it down to keep him from being able to access it from your computer and obtaining a password and thus be able to modify settings to the router.

He's probably reading here right now to find out what his mother is trying to do!
LOL no he's asleep.

I did find a FireFox add-on called Block Site. It has you add domain and wildcards such as
http://www.youtube.com
http://*.youtube.*
http://youtube.com*
etc.

Then you use a password authentication so it can't be removed by anyone but me.
This is the last stap, and hopefully it will work. Otherwise, I'm pulling all internet access.

Really y'all, he's not all that devious or bad. He's learning things, like curse words, on YouTube that I don't want him to learn.
The people that make these vids are so tricky. He finds vids for Super Mario, or his Need For Madness racing game, and other stuff. KIDS games... that people voice over and fill it with F***, and other curse words.

Why do they have to go a ruin kids games like that. :(

Top Bottom