Calling all computer geeks -

Yes, you can control which apps may be used. The technology director at my school had it on some very restrictive settings. Instead of opening the menu when you clicked "Start", it would just bring up the shutdown/log off dialog. We were limited to using whatever was available on the desktop.

and there was no way even if you knew the physical location of the file to open it?

Pretty much I would create a C:\windows\notepad.exe would parse as a clickable link in word and then we could play a game we didn't have access to.

Does this software block things at that level...or does it remove the links/shortcuts only?

and there was no way even if you knew the physical location of the file to open it?

Pretty much I would create a C:\windows\notepad.exe would parse as a clickable link in word and then we could play a game we didn't have access to.

Does this software block things at that level...or does it remove the links/shortcuts only?
Knowing the physical location of the executable did not matter. It blocks it from executing.

hmm....as long as the end users can't see the software itself (fortres) and there is no executing unwanted apps for sure...I would be confident to say this would solve Peggy's problem then

EQnoble, why not download a free demo from http://www.fortresgrand.com/products/f101/f101_downloads.htm and give it a go.
I would but if I do anything (thinking involved ) at this point...I should finish making an addon for someone who has been waiting patiently and not made a peep about it.

I have bookmarked it though....my niece is getting to the point where she will be using a computer in a year, she is three has an ipod and knows how to use it (thank you uncle Ant...I hope she reads this in the future :-) )

hmm....as long as the end users can't see the software itself (fortres) and there is no executing unwanted apps for sure...I would be confident to say this would solve Peggy's problem then
There is no indication to the users that it's even running on the system unless they actually see someone in the know interfacing with it. :) Of course, they'll know something is going on when they can't do certain things.

Peggy´s problem is very minor problem to this software, it only has to use 0.000001% of its power to block youtube access for good :)

Trend Micro has a great (although somewhat expensive) security suite that will allow you to block all video's all the time...they use it where I work, very effectively.

Trend Micro has a great (although somewhat expensive) security suite that will allow you to block all video's all the time...they use it where I work, very effectively.
Until he tethers his phone and bypasses the network altogether. Never underestimate the ability of a child.

Not always ;)
companies pay big bucks for sysAdmins to control traffic ;)

the OP can create a limited account for her son (windows machine)

"how to do it on windows XP"
Easy way around that...

Get a USB drive, install Windows (or even Linux) on the USB drive and boot from that drive.

The number #1 rule in InfoSec - if your physical security sucks, there's nothing that can be done. When you give a kind their own computer, its over. Unless they only use it under your direct, uninterrupted vision, they will find away.

and everyone is contributing equally to make that kid genious :lol: He will dig google until he find solutions to get over it :P

I'm not judging Peggy's parenting or anything, because I really respect the fact that she actually is parenting her child. But the fact of the matter is, Junior will hear these cuss words no matter what. I bet anything that he hears it from his friends at school. I know when I was that age, it was very common. There's really no escaping it. The important thing is to teach him (and our own kids) why they are wrong and how to behave, regardless of what others are doing. Easier said than done, I know. Just my opinion, though.

I'm not judging Peggy's parenting or anything, because I really respect the fact that she actually is parenting her child. But the fact of the matter is, Junior will hear these cuss words no matter what. I bet anything that he hears it from his friends at school. I know when I was that age, it was very common. There's really no escaping it. The important thing is to teach him (and our own kids) why they are wrong and how to behave, regardless of what others are doing. Easier said than done, I know. Just my opinion, though.

Opinions are always welcome. However, until you've parented a child with Autism, you don't realize the unique challenges that their parents face.

I do know that my child will hear curse words no matter what. But I can (and will/do) control where and how he hears them. Sometimes it is inescapable, you are absolutely right. But the rest of the time, it is my responsibility to filter (for lack of a better word) what he sees/hears, etc.

A lesson in dealing with a child with ANY form of Autism - but especially a child with Asperger Syndrome (AS), and I'm sure that Kim will back me up on most of this:

Most kids with AS are highly intelligent, sometimes overly inquisitive, usually obsessed with 2 or 3 items or subjects (my sons' obsessions are Hot Wheels, weather, and anything electronic), very impulsive, and lack "filters" - especially at this age (he's 11).

Now, when I say they lack "filters", I mean that what goes in, comes out. In my sons' case, there is NO thinking about what you're going to say before you say it. He simply is not capable of considering his words or actions, nor their consequences. AS kids are also very impulsive. My son happens to be on the very high end of impulsivity. If he thinks it, he either says it or does it. There is no filter in between.

SO, as you can see, this poses its own set of issues for what I can permit my son to watch or listen to. At least until he's older and has had more training, and more time with his therapists, to learn those things that, to most "normal" kids, come naturally. A child without AS would think "Oh wow if I said that my mom would whip me!".

A child with AS wouldn't think. They hear "F***" and they say "F***", then wonder why you got mad, and why is it wrong to say that word in the first place, and why are there consequences for saying a word that you didn't know was bad, and why is it bad, anyway? :confused:

Soooooo, now I hope that you can understand a bit better (I know you do Fred) why sometimes I obsess about some things, and why it's not always possible to deal with my sons' behavior the way most parents can deal with their kids' behavior. TRUST me, he doesn't get away with much. Not much at all. But as my granny always said, sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Top Bottom