Calling all computer geeks -

Peggy you can set an access policy if your router allows for it in the admin panel for your router. You can set times of allowed access, bandwidth allocation, and varying options based on the brand/model of router you have.

If he is wirelessly connected to your router...you can disable wireless access to the admin management console.

Set a good router password and change the login name if you can remember a good one without writing it down to keep him from being able to access it from your computer and obtaining a password and thus be able to modify settings to the router.

Darlin I wouldn't know how to do this if I was paid.
Really.

If what I did tonight doesn't work tho, I'll figure it out.

Now, to figure out how to block it from iPad...... yeahhhhh right. :rolleyes:

you can also limit his account (this is a windows computer right?)
don't allow him to install apps and also parental control
what OS are we talking about?

Does anyone have ANY clue at all, as to how I can block my sons' access to YouTube? I have wasted money on three different parental control software - He hacks through them. Norton has a feature to block certain websites. He hacked through it.

Short of completely yanking his internet access, what can I do? Isn't there a hack-proof site-blocking software out there??

Note: as most of you know, he's an 11 yr old with Asperger Syndrome (a form of Autism), and practically a computer genius.

Does he have conversation disability? If not talk to him and tell him you would like him to stop visiting youtube. The only perfect boundary is trust.

On the swear words, everything my dad heard me say one he beat me with a belt so bad I thought I was going to die. Then I was made to go do lots of hard labor and could not see friends. The hard labor was being loaned out to haul hay or something like that. When my grandmother heard me say a swear word it was far worse. I had a lot of fear in doing anything wrong.

The only working solution, if he is really a computer genius is to block/filter
the internet with a different device, where he can't get his hands on.

His PC --> Device = Router/PC -> Internet Router

Of course it shouldn't be possible to bypass this middle-device by changing the WLAN or the LAN cable ;)

So first be sure how much effort you want to put in.

Hardware firewall, and block everything, then allow only sites of which you know they are 'curse free'. Best to seek professional advice for that.

But to be honest, curse words are part of life and kids will hear them sooner or later, I'm not even sure that blocking a complete website, which can also be a very educational site is the better of the two. Of course I have no experience with kids with autism.

Back in the day, I used this awesome program for 3 years in a school with about 600 pupils aged 13-20 for banning some websites & windows functions, no kid managed to crack it.

http://www.fortresgrand.com/products/f101/f101.htm
does that software also block most traffic...I ask because her son is at an age where he probably plays a few games on his computer and I am wondering if that software would hinder game-play with a game the requires a connection to a remote dedicated server?

Hardware firewall, and block everything, then allow only sites of which you know they are 'curse free'. Best to seek professional advice for that.

But to be honest, curse words are part of life and kids will hear them sooner or later, I'm not even sure that blocking a complete website, which can also be a very educational site is the better of the two. Of course I have no experience with kids with autism.

generally speaking....

Kids: Batteries Included...manuals not available.

It blocks want you want it to block; just a single website too, ie. youtube if you so wish.

Check some screenhots from the configuration menus:
http://www.fortresgrand.com/products/f101/f101_screenshots.htm

internet_settings.gif

I suppose if it was installed under an admin account and her son's was a regular user(so he can't get by it) that might work just fine...this judging it by what I can see.

It was installed on all the computers at my high school. I bought a copy to play around with. There are tons of options to restrict access to what can be done the machine.

So it is like a user friendly firewall + a windows shell hypervisor of sorts it looks like.

Does it have the ability to block apps too. LIke if someone were to kill the winexplorer could they open their own shell and be unlimited ...or is that something that can be stopped as well?

On a side note...when I was in high school all we had to do was write an internal link in word and click it to open the explorer which was 'blocked' lol.

So it is like a user friendly firewall + a windows shell hypervisor of sorts it looks like.

Does it have the ability to block apps too. LIke if someone were to kill the winexplorer could they open their own shell and be unlimited ...or is that something that can be stopped as well?

On a side note...when I was in high school all we had to do was write an internal link in word and click it to open the explorer which was 'blocked' lol.
Yes, you can control which apps may be used. The technology director at my school had it on some very restrictive settings. Instead of opening the menu when you clicked "Start", it would just bring up the shutdown/log off dialog. We were limited to using whatever was available on the desktop.

Top Bottom